As a kid, I used to wonder why we eat these umbrella shaped things. It is for a frog to hide themselves when it rains (something I saw on a cartoon show). One day, out of curiosity, I asked my mom the same question to which she replied, “Frogs stay in the water only, so they don’t need to hide themselves when it rains. So, it’s left for us to eat!” Obviously, she was not aware of its nutritional benefits at that time. As a nutritionist, now I understand the numerous health benefits that Mushrooms offer along with it’s property to boost immunity.
When we have an infection or disease, our immune system regulates to battle the infection and it works without any break. Hence, it is crucial to boost it on a daily basis so that it does not get exhausted and thankfully, Mushrooms can help this cause. While all edible Mushrooms provide you with essential nutrients, below are some that are nutrient dense and packed with Antioxidants, Beta Glucan, certain Vitamins and minerals that makes them a heart healthy choice to boost your immunity.
Types Of Mushrooms & Their Benefits
- Shiitake Mushrooms: These are one of the popular ones as they are a rich source of Fiber, Vitamin B and are low in Calories. They are native to Japan. However in India, it can be found in an Indian Super market too and have been in the limelight for their immunity boosting properties.
- Oyster Mushrooms: They’re one of the biggest edible Mushrooms. It gets its name due to having a similar appearance as an oyster. They are an excellent source of essential Vitamins and Minerals including Niacin, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6 and Thiamine. Along with boosting immune function, it also lowers cholesterol and boosts heart health.
- Enoki Mushrooms: are also known as ‘Golden Needle Mushrooms’. They are widely available in the Indian supermarket. The healthy Amino acids present in them serves to improve the immune system and is also used as a remedy for hypertension, high cholesterol and liver disease in Asian culture.
- Reishi Mushrooms: They support the immune system because they may support the body’s natural response to occasional stress by supporting the endocrine system.
- Chaga Mushrooms: help in the formation of Cytokines protein that regulate the immune system. They also stimulate WBC’s (White blood cells) which are essential for fighting harmful bacteria or viruses.
All these varieties are like unsung heroes. So now that you know how they help, include them in your diet along with other food sources to boost your immunity! They are quite versatile and can be added to your soup, sauteed with other vegetables, sandwiches and you can pickle them too – the possibilities are endless!
We hope you enjoyed reading this article. Do let us know your thoughts in the comments below! For more on foods that boost immunity, check out Healthy Reads or tune in to nutrition classes by experts on GOQii Play.
To get these tips directly from your GOQii Coach, subscribe to personalized coaching here: https://goqiiapp.page.link/wssu
Eat healthy & #BeTheForce
Tayla Edmondson says
Thank You for Sharing this informative article! I really like to visit your Product review. It is very useful to everyone Stay healthy and keep safe!