If you’ve suffered from sinus congestion at any point in your life, you’re well aware of how painful an experience it can be. Let’s deep dive into what it exactly is as well as learn some home remedies for sinus congestion.
What is Sinus Congestion?
Sinus congestion is a condition in which the cavities around your nasal passage get inflamed and congested. Symptoms appear in the form of a stuffy nose, pain around the nose, cheeks, jaw or forehead. One may even experience swollen or watery eyes and a sore throat.There’s a surge in sinus congestion cases during winters primarily due to the dry, cold weather accompanied by an increase in pollutants and allergens in the environment. If there are no obstructive pathologies for the sinus blockage like polyps or deviated nasal septum, then a few home remedies for sinus congestion can help us soothe the inflamed nasal passage and reduce the intensity of the symptoms.
Effective Home Remedies You Should Try
1. Maintain Humidity: Dryness in cold weather is amplified when you are using a room heater. Dry air makes the mucus thick. This clogs sinus cavities and causes pain and pressure on the surrounding tissues. Using a humidifier while running a room heater and keeping yourself hydrated can help in reducing the viscosity of the mucus, making it easy to drain it out and open the cavities up.
2. Drink Warm Fluids: Warming your body with hot soups, curries and teas is an ancient measure, followed traditionally and ritually for ages! This is found to be quite effective in alleviating the symptoms of sinus congestion. Here are a few simple remedies which can be easily prepared at home:
- Ginger-Turmeric Tea: Boil one-quarter teaspoon of dry ginger and turmeric in one cup of water and have that tea by adding lemon and pepper. It is very effective in soothing the sore respiratory mucosa and boosting immunity levels.
- Immunity Booster: Take 2 black peppers, 2 cloves, 2 cardamoms, a small piece of cinnamon, small piece of ginger, Tulsi leaves, 2 garlic cloves and ½ teaspoon of ajwain. Boil it till the water becomes half in quantity, strain it and then have it hot with honey (preferably organic). Have this immunity booster drink two to three times a day. It will help you fight off various bacterial and viral infections.
- Whole Leaves Green Tea: Being rich in antioxidants and polyphenols, green tea is found to be one of the most effective immunity booster and detox drink!
3. Warm Compresses: Apply warm compresses by covering your face with a clean, warm and wet cloth which will moisten the nasal passages, thin out the mucus plug and help in easing its drain, thus opening the cavities up!
4. Steam Inhalation: Steam inhalation is found to be quite effective in moistening the air passages and reducing the congestion by loosening the mucus. Use a bowl of hot water, add a few drops of an essential oil like menthol, eucalyptus or lemon juice and cover yourself with a thick towel to trap the steam inside!
5. Nasal Irrigation: Nasal irrigation simply means flushing out the nasal pathway with a saline solution. It helps remove allergens, irritants and excess mucus! You can use a nasal irrigation system like a Neti Pot, squeeze bottle or bulb syringes filled with saline solution, which you can get at a medical store. You can also make a saline solution at home by mixing 3 teaspoons of salt and 1 teaspoon of baking soda. Use sea salt or pickling salt and not iodized salt or table salt which is added with additives. Store it in airtight container!
- How to Do Saline Irrigation: Put the above mixture into a clean Neti Pot or bulb syringe and stand near a sink. Place the spout in the top nostril and pour or gently spray a liberal amount of solution into one nostril, while tilting the head at 45 degrees, so that it flows through the nasal cavity and out of the other nostril! Blow your nose to get rid of any remaining water. Repeat the process on the other nostril.
6. Eliminate the Causative Factors: Factors which can aggravate the symptoms are allergens like smoke, dust particles, perfumes, hair spray, cleaning products and anything which releases fumes! Try to keep the air around you clean from all these irritants!
While these home remedies for sinus congestion are effective, they only tackle the symptoms. If the issue persists, you should consult your doctor. For more home remedies, you can check out the Healthy Reads section in the app or ask a GOQii Coach by subscribing for personalized coaching here: https://goqiiapp.page.link/bsr