Blood Pressure (BP) has now become a common ailment. Be it young or old almost everyone has BP issues. Infact, BP issues among young adults is on the rise thanks to the lifestyle that most lead! Some have low blood pressure and some high blood pressure issues.
High blood pressure is often considered harmful as it tends to have a negative effect on the heart and may increase the risk of stroke. It’s difficult to manage those BP pills to ensure maintenance of the pressure once diagnosed with elevated pressure levels.
A healthy change in lifestyle may prove beneficial in lowering the pressure levels as well as in maintaining them. Eating right is important during lifestyle modification and when managing pressure levels. This further may help in maintaining or reducing or even curbing the dosage of medicines!
Here are five foods that will help you lower your pressure levels:
- Bananas: These are a rich source of potassium, cheap and available throughout the year. Have them as a on- the- go- snack. The potassium helps to curb the imbalance of electrolytes during high pressure.
- Low fat or Skim Milk: The combination of Vitamin D and Calcium not only helps in reducing the pressure levels but also maintain the bone health. A glass a day is all what you need!
- Whole Grain: Kick start your day with whole grain cereals as they not only provide you with nutrients and fibre that help in maintaining consistent energy levels but also lower the pressure levels.
- Beet Juice: A glass of beetroot juice is proven to reduce pressure levels within few hours according to research. The nitrate present in it is known to lower the levels.
- Dark chocolate: It is high in compounds that cause dilation of blood vessels i.e. flavonoids thus lowering the pressure. One small square piece is what one needs!
**Tip: Along with this lower the intake of salt and processed/packaged foods, exercise regularly and achieve a healthy stress free lifestyle!!