Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) has gained a lot of popularity for its weight loss properties but the real question is, does it really help one lose weight? Before we delve deeper into that, let’s understand what ACV is.
What is Apple Cider Vinegar?
ACV is acidic in nature due to its main component of acetic acid. It is prepared by the fermentation of crushed apples. It is the acetic acid which has numerous health benefits. Some of these include:
- Helps controlling blood sugar levels: Acetic acid present in Apple Cider Vinegar can improve the ability of the liver to utilize sugar more efficiently from the blood.
- Decreases insulin levels: If the ratio of insulin and glucagon reduces, it helps in increasing the fat burning process. This is done by acetic acid.
- Helps in boosting metabolism: which increases the fat burning process.
- It reduces fat storage and suppresses appetite resulting in low intake of food.
- Controls blood pressure naturally
- Helps in reducing bad cholesterol and increases good cholesterol (HDL).
- Alleviates the symptoms of PCOS.
What Does Research Say?
One of the researches done on humans (Japanese) states that Apple Cider Vinegar can really help in reducing weight and body fat.
Researchers gave 1 Tbsp (15ml) of ACV, 2Tbsp (30ml) of a placebo drink daily to 144 obese Japanese adults for 12 weeks, along with their usual diet and exercise routine. After 12 weeks, it was found that those who consumed 15ml of ACV per day reduced 1.2kgs, 0.7% of body fat, 0.5” of the waist and 26% Triglycerides. Those who consumed 30ml of ACV per day reduced 1.7kgs of weight, 0.9% body fat, 0.75” waist and 26% Triglycerides (same as 15ml).
On the other hand, those who were fed the placebo increased 0.4kgs and slight increment in waist circumference too.
So, the bottom line is that 1-2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar per day can lead to weight loss and the reduction in body fat percentage, belly fat, and blood triglycerides.
How Do You Add ACV to Your Routine?
Mix 15-30ml of ACV in a full glass of water. However, it is always advised to break the doses 2-3 times a day preferably, at least 15 mins before a meal. If you can’t drink it due to its pungent taste and smell, then it can be used:
- As a salad dressing with olive oil
- For pickling of vegetables
Please Note: Do not consume ACV directly. Always dilute before consuming to avoid burning of the throat and stomach lining due to the strong acid. Also, excessive usage of apple cider vinegar may be harmful due to the acid content. Always consume within the safe limits or else it may lead to the erosion of teeth enamel and loss of potassium.
We hope this article helps you. Before you begin using Apple Cider Vinegar, do consult your doctor, nutritionist or dietitian. To know more about ACV, browse through classes by nutrition experts on GOQii Play. Do leave your thoughts in the comments below.