A vacation is a good time to enjoy and stay carefree but it can certainly take you a step back in your health and fitness journey, if you are not mindful. There’s no need to panic! We’ve got you covered with few effective yet practical things you can do to stay healthy on a vacation.
Tips To Stay Healthy On A Vacation
- Hydrate: The most neglected part of your vacation routine is your water intake. When you are low on hydration, you can take your body’s thirst urge as a hunger urge. This can make you snack more often and your portion control will vanish. So always keep a water bottle in your handbag or in your backpack and keep sipping every hour. This will avoid your hands on chips, and at the same time, will keep your stomach at its best.
- Carry your snacks: Never forget to carry simple homemade snacks. They are half the calories you are going to consume from chips, chocolates, cold drinks, etc. for sure. Pack almonds, walnuts, dates, raisins and at the same time some makhana, roasted peanuts, roasted chana, khakhra, homemade chivda, popcorn, etc. This will help you avoid unhealthy snacking and fueling the fat cells.
- Walk everywhere: Yes, your step counts should not fall while on vacation. Explore the place on your feet, take an opportunity to walk around and enjoy the serenity. Swim in the hotel pool, go hiking, walk around the market – indulge in everything which will pump up your metabolism. This way, you will avoid putting on extra weight even while vacationing.
- Eat only until 80% full: Understand your hunger cues even while on vacation. Do not overfeed yourself to get the goodness of food. For main meals, take only one main plate (avoid using quarter plates) and portion the food you like in a controlled manner and eat it very slowly. Be practical while choosing your food, do not keep impractical expectations of avoiding desserts/sweets. Eat, but in moderation and eat only until 80% full. Stop when you are uncomfortable.
- Eat your breakfast: Do not skip your first meal of the day! Enjoy a healthy and heavy breakfast so you can keep your hands away from unhealthy snacks till late noon. This will satisfy your hunger hormones in the morning and will help you control your portions for later in the day.
- Only one treat a day: How can you keep your hands off desserts, hot gulab jamuns, ice creams, etc. while vacationing? The truth is you really cannot but you should. Keep a rule of only 1 portion of any treat per day and not more. This will avoid the unnecessary sugar rush in your body, which will in turn spike your hunger hormones, which will lead to overeating even during your main meals.
We hope these useful and doable tips and tricks will help you stay healthy on a vacation. Do let us know how you manage to stay healthy on a vacation in the comments below! You can find more tips such as this one, here. You can also get these healthy tips directly from a GOQii Coach by subscribing for Personalised Health Coaching here.