How many times have we pushed ourselves to our physical limits in order to get rid of excess body fat only to end up gaining it all over again? Keeping body fat off is a difficult task but it is not impossible. All you need is the right knowledge and this article has it!
Need to Burn Body Fat
There are many articles out there that will explain the need to burn body fat. What they do not take into account is the fact that muscle behaviour changes when body fat is burned. When you’re on a journey to lose weight, it is important to burn body fat as well as restoring body muscles in order to gain control over important body functions.
How to Burn Body Fat
1. Increase Protein Intake: The theory behind increasing protein intake is more the muscles, the more fat you will burn. Best is to start your day with good carbs and proteins as adding protein to breakfast will work on hunger hormones making you feel fuller for a longer time.
That’s the main reason why including protein helps in losing weight and keeping it off. If you don’t have a good protein source, add it. But remember that only protein intake excluding good carbs, fibre, vitamins and minerals may result in weight gain, as extra protein will get deposited, leading to weight gain.
Sources of protein that can be included in your daily lifestyle are quinoa, moringa, peanut butter, almond butter, nuts, seeds, legumes, beans, lean meat, fish, eggs, and dairy products like curd, yoghurt, cottage cheese, paneer, and soy products like tofu can be included.
2. Water Intake: The average water intake of a person is 2.17 liters. Water intake can be increased to 3 liters per day to prevent sunstroke and dehydration, especially in hot weather. Hydration is essentially important because your body will not burn fat when it is dehydrated.
Drinking a glass of water before meals act as an appetite suppressant, helping you keep extra fats from food at bay. Avoid sugary drinks like colas or other carbonated drinks. Instead, you can carry a chilled bottle of water containing chia seeds or basil seeds, mint leaves added with a little salt and a piece of jaggery to keep yourself hydrated and refreshed!
3. Foods with Fiber: Gut health is the key to maintain body weight and shrug off that extra fat from the body. Fiber not only helps in maintaining a healthy weight but also helps in reducing cholesterol and diabetic levels.
If you’re one of the folks who look for low-calorie foods, you can try broccoli, lettuce, cabbage, cauliflower, mushrooms, green beans, zucchini, apples, popcorn, cucumber, spinach, oats and brown rice. They are good sources of fiber and they keep you full for longer.
Psyllium husk (Isapgol) is a great way to detox the system. It also helps in eliminating cholesterol and fat globules from the body. However, it needs to be consumed in moderation – half a teaspoon or 2 grams per day can be taken.
4. Cut down on Salt, Sugar and Refined Carbs: Everything in excess is harmful. Salt and sugar are basic needs of our lifestyle as it helps to maintain the pH level of blood. Excess salt results in water retention and may cause difficulty in losing weight. Similarly, excess sugar will affect your metabolism and causes joint pains and fatty liver problems.
This doesn’t mean we need to go tasteless! Moderation is the key to a healthier lifestyle. You need to avoid extra salts, sugars coming from processed food, junk food and refined carbs like white bread, white flour, sweetened beverages, bakery products, and uncovered street food. Instead, carry healthy snacks like fox nuts, goji berries, dry fruits, mix seeds, popcorn and also cut off any additional salt to your curds or salads.
Foods That Help in Burning Body Fat Faster
- Apple Cider Vinegar: 1 or 2 tsp of apple cider vinegar mixed in lukewarm water works as a good healthy drink in the morning. It helps in burning extra fats from the body.
- Extra Virgin Coconut Oil: Reducing your normal oil intake while consuming extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil benefits thyroid functioning and increases the body’s metabolic rate due to the presence of medium chain triglycerides. This helps burn body fat faster. Add it to your salads or once the curry is cooked. Do not heat it as this may result in losing its nutritive content.
- Beverages: Green coffee, black coffee, oolong tea, green tea, chamomile tea, and goji berries tea – all help in improving body metabolism and help in burning body fat faster. However, 2- 3 cup a day is advised as anything in excess is harmful.
Stress and Lack of Sleep Can Result in Weight Gain
Stress and sleep are often neglected when a person is burning body fat and tends to indulge in extra workouts. You only need to workout 3-4 times a week. Pushing yourself too hard will only result in stress and lead to weight gain. Jumping jacks, HIIT, planks, crunches, lunges with stretching and yoga helps in maintaining body shape with no stress and good quality sleep.
If mediation or deep breathing alone don’t help you relax, then opt for stress-busting foods like dark chocolate, nuts, seeds, bananas, and avocados. Do not negotiate with sleep. The lack of good quality sleep and stress slows down metabolism and causes weight gain. To sleep peacefully keep your room dark, no heavy workout before sleep and stay off computer or phone screens at least an hour before you go to bed.
Working on these minute lifestyle changes can greatly help you lose body fat and keep it off! We hope this article helps you. For more information or tips on weight loss, check out Healthy Reads or speak to an expert by subscribing for GOQii’s Personalised Health Coaching here: https://goqiiapp.page.link/bsr