The moment one imagines citrus fruits, you get the image of yellow-orange coloured tangy fruits which can instantly add taste to a dish. Citrus fruits mainly include lemon, sweet lime, orange, grapefruit and tangerine. They are packed with nutrients like Vitamin C, antioxidants, flavonoids, potassium and citric acid which have many health benefits like maintaining electrolyte balance, regulate acid-alkaline balance in the body, prevent heart disease, manage acidity and improve digestion also prevent constipation, build good immunity, etc.
While lemon is widely used in beauty products for its immense benefits on hair and skin, including it in your diet adds to its taste and nutrients. Citrus fruits can be included in your diet easily to make your meals more appetizing and tasty. All this while also giving you the much required health benefits.
How To Add Citrus Fruits To Your Diet
- Breakfast: Include vegetable and citrus fruit smoothies like tomato and orange juice or celery, sweet lime and spinach juice or whole fruits to your breakfast. It is an easy and quick way to add nutrients to your meal especially if you’re running late for work. You can replace your morning coffee with orange juice or add lemon juice to your green tea instead of drinking milk tea with breakfast.
- Sprinkle Lemon Juice: on your sprouts or peanut salad or include lemon slices as a salad. You can have this as your mid-morning or evening snack. This may help you reduce stress eating and also aid weight loss as well as manage acidity as these snacks are low on fat and loaded with a good amount of micronutrients.
- Make a Dessert: using citrus fruits or citrus fruit juices. You can also add lemon zest to your cakes and puddings or add orange juice to your nutrition bars instead of sugar. This will enhance the taste and up the nutrient content, making your dish more flavorful.
- Pickling: citrus foods is the oldest and most widely known method of preserving them. It can be stored for the whole year and can be had during seasons when we do not get foods rich in Vitamin C. These fruits can also be used in making jams which can be stored for quite some time.
- Detox Water: Add lemon, orange or grapefruit slices to your water. This helps clean your system by removing toxins from your body. It also improves energy levels, keeps the skin clear and healthy, improves sleep quality and also your mood with its potassium levels! It also supports weight loss.
We hope this article helps you. Is there an interesting way you add citrus fruits to your diet? Let us know in the comments below. For more interesting tips on diet and nutrition, check out Healthy Reads or speak to a certified expert by subscribing to GOQii’s Personalised Health Coaching here.