Lemon! There’s no doubt that this bright yellow, all season fruit has innumerable advantages. If I were to list down the benefits, it would be endless. The foremost advantage of lemon is its power to enhance the flavor of our kitchen. Packed with vitamin C, calcium, potassium, phosphorous, magnesium, pectin fiber and citric acid, this fruit has been known to boost immunity and take it to another level.
It is anti-bacterial in nature, thus protecting you from the clutches of most infections. It’s also a blood purifier and known to rejuvenate the skin by taking away acne and wrinkles. It’s a perfect morning drink! It aids in the elimination of waste products from the body and promotes quick bursts of energy.
I have seen many people using lemon water as a way to lose weight. Does it really help in weight loss? The good news is that it does! Lemon water has shown to have real weight loss powers. It actually helps accelerate the process of weight loss.
Let’s understand the Weight Loss Mechanisms of Lemon
- Drinking lemon water in the morning helps activate the detoxifying process. It clears out toxins and some internal waste from the body. Once the toxins are out, it accelerates our sluggish metabolism, increasing our calorie burning capacity
- It has diuretic and laxative effect, enabling smooth bowels and cleansing of colon. Lingering waste in the colon also adds on to the weight and results in bloating. Removal of the lingering waste helps drop some kilos then and there itself
- Lemon water helps cleanse the liver. Some components of lemon stimulate the liver to produce more bile. Bile is a chemical that helps in fat digestion. This process helps metabolize fat faster
- Having lemon water with a meal also stimulates the production of gastric juices that enhance digestion
- Lemon is packed with Vitamin C. According to an article published in the “Journal of the American College of Nutrition” in 2005, vitamin C is inversely related to our body mass. Reports suggest that having enough vitamin C can stimulate a series of chemical reactions that breakdown body fat and use it as energy
- It creates an alkaline atmosphere in the stomach which is conducive to weight loss and helps shed off the kilos faster
- It contains a fibre called pectin (especially the lemon peel). Pectin is known to cut down hunger cravings and provide satiety effects, thus, exerting control on overeating
- Last but not the least – substituting other drinks (colas/sugary fruit juices, etc) with lemon water certainly reduces the caloric consumption as lemon water adds ZERO calories to your body each time you drink it as compared to the other drinks. If you choose to replace the other drinks with lemon water every day for months or even a year, it will help you lose weight