Diabetes has been listed as an epidemic and it seems to be on the rise, worldwide. Diabetes is a disorder which alters the blood sugar levels and production of insulin that can cause various complications if left untreated. It can be treated through lifestyle modifications and exercises. We do have few spices and herbs available in nature, along with dietary changes, to help battle diabetes. These remedies are not only economic to the pockets but can also help in reducing medicines. There are so many herbs (leafy part of the plant) that have proven boon to regulate blood sugar. Here, I am mentioning the most common and effective herbs to control blood sugar levels effectively.
5 Herbs To Battle Diabetes
- Oregano: due to it’s high content of glycosides, flavonoids and polyphenols, oregano helps in lowering blood sugar levels. It helps in increasing the level of insulin in the body too. In dry form, oregano can be added to salads, soups or other dishes. Fresh herbs can be added to boiling water, let it steep for 5 mins, strain and drink as tea in the morning. You can also chew 5-6 oregano leaves regularly.
- Curry leaves: are the aromatic leaves and widely used in culinary preparations. It helps in decreasing blood sugar levels and also promotes carbohydrate metabolism. They can be chewed every day on an empty stomach or can be used while preparing food.
- Giloy: is an Ayurvedic, magical plant that can not only help in controlling blood sugar levels and other symptoms of diabetes but is potent enough to alleviate many issues arising from your head to toe. Giloy also gives a boost to immunity. Powered with Antioxidants, it protects the body from any damage caused by free radicals. To consume it, take 1 tsp of Giloy powder or ½ an inch of fresh crushed Giloy stem, mix or soak it in a cup of water overnight. Drink it on an empty stomach the next morning. You can also boil ½ inch of Giloy stem in a cup of water till it reduces in half and drink it hot, twice a day.
- Sadabahar: is a common plant found in India. Its flowers are the main component to help reduce blood sugar levels. Sadabahar flowers can be boiled in water for a few minutes. You can strain and drink it in the morning as tea. 3-4 leaves can be chewed daily on an empty stomach as well.
- Peppermint: contains natural antioxidants which are helpful in fighting diabetes, heart disease, aging and cancer. It also adds great flavor and aroma to teas. Peppermint is available both in fresh and dried leaves or tea bags in the market but it is better to go for fresh leaves. The leaves can be added to tea for good flavor and your daily dose of antioxidants. Alternatively you can add them to salads or chew 4-5 leaves on an empty stomach. Please Note: People with GERD or people prone to acidity should avoid it as it relaxes the muscle that closes the stomach from oesophagus causing acid reflux.
We hope this article helps you battle diabetes. Before you switch to using any of these wonder herbs to battle diabetes, please ensure that you check with your doctor, nutritionist or dietitian in case of any allergies or other medical conditions. For more on Diabetes, check out Healthy Reads or tune in to LIVE sessions by experts on GOQii Play.