Hormonal imbalances occur when there is too much or too little hormone in the bloodstream and because of their essential role in the body, even small hormonal imbalances can cause side effects throughout the body. While some hormone levels fluctuate throughout your lifetime and may just be a result of natural aging, other changes occur when your endocrine glands get impacted either by external or internal factors.
Importance of Rebalancing Hormones
It is extremely important to balance your hormones as soon as you become aware of the changes that happen to your body. Every other day, I come across a player who has a hormonal issue and it makes me want to pen down the importance of balancing your hormones. Here are some of those points:
- The more balanced your hormone levels, the higher you function – physically, mentally and emotionally
- A healthy hormone balance boosts your brain health
- Balancing your hormones helps you control your appetite, weight and mood
- It helps fight harmful bacteria, viruses and promotes an overall clean function
What Changes Will You Observe?
- More energy, productivity and a positive outlook towards life
- Less cravings for sweets, junk and fatty foods
- Clear Skin (no acne and scars)
- No hair fall
- Increased libido
- No muscle cramps or loss of energy
- Regular periods
- Well balanced metabolism
- More easy weight loss
- Improved sleep
- Lower mood cravings
Ways to Balance Your Hormones Naturally
- A portion of protein and Fiber in every meal: Consuming adequate amounts of protein is extremely important for hormones that control appetite and food intake. Protein and fibres will also boost your metabolism, which is important for weight loss – weight being a common issue of hormonal imbalance.
- Regular Exercise: Simple walking or indulging in any sort of physical activity can turn out to be magical for you. You can choose any workout regimen like strength training, cardio, zumba, dance or bodyweight exercises – whichever suits your health goal and schedule.
- Healthy Fats: By including healthy fats in your daily diet you can rebalance your hormones naturally. Choose unsaturated fats over saturated and avoid consuming trans-fat. Some healthy fats include vegetable oil ,oil from nuts and seeds, avocados and unrefined cold/wood pressed extra virgin olive oil.
- Eating foods rich in Omega 3: fatty acids may help increase insulin sensitivity which can be helpful in weight loss as well as in rebalancing your hormones. Sources of omega-3 fatty acid foods include fish and other seafood (especially salmon ,mackerel, tuna, sardines), walnuts, flax and chia seeds, seaweed, kidney beans, cod liver oil, and brussels sprouts.
- Manage Stress: It has been found that nearly 55% of the population in India is either dealing with chronic stress or depression which causes serious health issues including hormonal imbalance. So it is important to manage your stress. This can be done by talking to a person you are comfortable with, reading a book, deep breathing, meditation, yoga, walking, practicing gratitude, etc.
- Sleep Tight: The regulation and metabolism of several hormones are influenced by interactions between the effects of sleep and the hormones like the growth hormone, cortisol, melatonin, leptin and ghrelin which plays a crucial role in maintaining healthy levels of hormones that control appetite and blood glucose levels. So in order to get the results by implementing the above suggestion, it is important to get adequate sleep as poor sleep has been associated with imbalance of many hormones. Aim at getting 7-8 hours of good quality sleep to balance your hormones naturally.
Your hormones can be your best friend and worst enemy if not taken care of. So for that, eat healthy, stay active, sleep well and engage in healthy behaviors. We hope this article helps you. Do leave your thoughts in the comments below. For more on hormone health, check out Healthy Reads or tune in to LIVE sessions by experts on GOQii Play.