Micronutrient supplements are an affordable and effective way to ensure that you get the daily recommended intake of essential nutrients, vitamins and minerals for a healthy life. Many people grab supplements without consulting their doctor, which is quite upsetting for me. In a study, it has been found that a majority of people who take supplements don’t even need them and many use it as an alternative to a healthy diet.
A few days back, one of my players asked me if she can consume fat burning pills for quick weight loss and this made me write an article on this topic to spread awareness about supplements to our GOQii members as there are many people who might be thinking of using these supplements for easy weight loss. It is sad how advertisements target innocent people who are struggling with weight and other health issues.
What Are Some Important Micronutrient Supplements?
Most common supplements which are required by the human body are Vitamins, Minerals, Amino acids, herbal and antioxidants. Supplements are quite convenient for us to carry, consume and keep a check on our health. Let’s take a look at the role of supplements:
- Micronutrient supplements can simplify management of certain diseases
- They can aid weight loss/gain
- They are beneficial during pregnancy
- Supplements can improve overall health and help in preventing certain age related health issues
- It can boost athletic performance
- Might lower your risk of osteoporosis or arthritis
- Can provide you with extra nutrients when you diet is lacking in it
Can We Get Them From Our Diet?
The answer is absolutely YES! Experts agree that the best way to get the nutrients we need is through food. A well balanced diet containing fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds, dairy, lean meat and legumes can meet the body’s requirements. However, it is extremely important to eat the right combination of food for better nutrient absorption. I have seen many people eating healthy food but with the wrong combination which does not give them expected results and they keep on wondering why? So, get in touch with your GOQii coach often to understand it.
Knock-on effects of Certain Micronutrient Supplements
Most supplements are safe to consume if taken in moderation but there are certain exceptions which you need to keep in mind.
- Vitamin E: is extremely important for protection against damage caused by free radicals. Yet, if taken in excess, can lead to brain stroke.
- Calcium and Vitamin D: are the most common supplements consumed for meeting the body’s demands. However, excess use can cause kidney stones.
- Vitamin K: People who are already on blood thinners should be very careful and consult their doctor or health care professional before using this supplement as Vitamin K is contradictory to medications taken to prevent blood clots.
- Excess protein powder supplements have been associated with Coronary Heart disease.
- High doses of Beta-carotene is linked to higher risk of Lung cancer.
Do We Really Need Them?
No! Not everyone needs supplements as the nutrition requirement of the body can be met by adding a variety of healthy foods. However, supplements sometimes become necessary for people who are 60 years and above as the tendency of the body to absorb all the nutrients is lesser and for people who are not able to manage eating a healthy, balanced diet. Some supplements may have serious side effects as mentioned above. There’s little evidence that any supplement can reverse the course of any chronic disease. However, some evidence suggests that supplements can enhance health in different ways. Always talk with your health care provider if you’re thinking about taking dietary supplements and always remember that supplements are not a substitute for a healthy balanced diet.
We hope this article on Micronutrient Supplements helps you make healthier choices. Do leave your thoughts in the comments below! For more on nutrition and supplements, check out Healthy Reads. You can also get this information, along with the right guidance and advice from a GOQii Coach by subscribing for personalized health coaching here: https://goqiiapp.page.link/bsr