In the previous articles, we went into what influences sleep and factors that guide it. Today, let’s take a look at some sleepy notes to help you improve your sleep!
Sleepy Notes To Improve Sleep
- Measure: Sleep is measured both quantitatively and qualitatively and both are important to score perfect sleep. For you to say that you slept well – scored 10 out of 10, myriad things have to happen during the 6-8 hours. You could use some kind of sleep measurement tools like the GOQii Smart Vital. You will get lots of data – as CXO folks say, “What gets measured gets managed!”
- Bedroom: We saw earlier that bedroom should be DARK. Buy darkening curtains and blinds.
- Cool & Clean: It is ideal to sleep with the aircon on every day so that the temperature is uniform. Considering the air pollution, it is critical to keep an air purifier for Indian conditions with high levels of pollutants. Western blog writers have recommended 20 Degree Celsius – For Indian bodies, I reckon 24 is ideal, which is what I do.
- Equipment: Sleep equipment includes the mattress, pillow, bedsheet and the comforter. Do your research – be as passionate as you are when buying a smartphone or car. You earned your sleep. Sleep comfortably! You spend one third of your life in it – this is NOT an expense – but an investment – Period. A good benchmark for investment is invest NOT LESS THAN the value of your CAR! You should also REPLACE them periodically.
- Mattress: You literally want to bounce back to life. A mattress should allow body heat dissipation , if possible make it cooler, provide for the spinal contours and curves and overall invite you to sleep. Most mattresses allow a 100 days sleep trial. Don’t forget to change your mattress every 7+ years or so – but do change it once a while. A mattress is definitely NOT for your lifetime. Also ensure that you clean the mattress once in six months at least. Many service providers do vacuum and dust mite cleaning. Very important. Do not let millions of dust mites sleep along with you on your mattress.
- Pillow: Choose a pillow that doesn’t cause any pain to your neck. Pillow varieties can be confusing – I use a Memory Foam pillow. Try a few and stick to what suits you. Once again, trial is allowed here as well and make sure you replace them once in 2-3 years.
- Bed Sheet: Choose one that allows heat dissipation to the mattress. Pure Cotton (bamboo is even better) and High Thread Count – Minimum 300 thread count is recommended for that 5 Star Hotel feel and conducting heat. Replace once in 2-3 years
- Comforter: Prevents heat dissipation and allows cooler air. Pure Cotton and high thread count. Replace them once in 2-3 years
- Power Nap: An afternoon nap for 15-30 minutes is very refreshing and powerful. I am aware of many CXOs sleeping in the office with lights switched off, wearing noise cancel headphones and eye masks. I found it useful and do this occasionally. Just in case you foresee working late on any day, a nap will help you keep going at full power till late into night.
- Alarm for Starting sleep: I strongly suggest that you keep an Alarm for STARTING sleep, most likely you WONT NEED an alarm to wake up. Starting sleep at the SAME TIME every day is extremely critical to have good sleep.
- Sleep Positions: Sleep how you feel comfortable. Side position with bent knees (closer to Fetal Position) is what suits most people.
We hope these sleepy notes help you! Do check out more from the Sleep Series by Srini on Healthy Reads. For tips on how to sleep better and meditation, tune in to LIVE sessions by experts on GOQii Play.