Cardamom, also known as the ‘Queen of Spices’, is a strong aromatic spice used in some traditional recipes in India and also some exotic dishes. This is not only used in cooking, but also has therapeutic value. This green pod is commonly grown in the mountainous regions of India and some countries in Asia. It usually comes in 2 varieties, Green (used for sweets and desserts) and Black (used for preparing garam masala). This minty, earthy spice is commonly known as ‘Elaichi” in North India and ‘Yelakki” in South India.
It is consumed in the following forms:
- As pods with seeds inside
- Ground powder
- Essential Oil
- Capsule (herbal supplement)
How Does Cardamom Help Fight Against Hypertension?
There are many studies conducted so far that have suggested that Cardamom supplementation will help in controlling blood pressure.
- Its natural phytonutrients have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It increases the dilation of blood vessels and helps in easy flow of blood through the arteries, which in turn increases blood circulation and helps control blood pressure.
- Another probable reason is that it acts like a natural diuretic, a substance that promotes urination to remove water that builds up in the body and controls the sodium and potassium levels that elevate the blood pressure.
- Cardamom essential oil is magical! It has a refreshing and soothing fragrance that helps elevate mood. It reduces anxiety and depression and produces a calming effect. This reduces stress induced blood pressure.
- It is also rich in fiber, helps to control cholesterol and in turn, controls blood pressure.
How Can You Incorporate It In Your Food?
Cardamom is very versatile. It is usually added in teas, milk, milkshakes, deserts and is also used as a mouth freshener. The calorific content, fat percentage of the foods should be taken into account while including it for reducing blood pressure. (You may consult your GOQii Coach for it).
Some other methods that can be used to control blood pressure using Cardamom are:
- Add a pinch of cardamom in 1 glass of warm water and have in the morning
- Crush 1 cardamom and brew with Tea/ coffee
- Add ¼ tsp of cardamom powder to breakfast cereals like oats and muesli
- Sprinkle fresh cardamom powder on top of salads
- Chew on 1 Elaichi seeds for 5 minutes after every meal
- You can mix cardamom powder with 1 cup curd/buttermilk and have it along with your meal or as a mid-morning snack
- As a natural detox: ½ lemon + ½ tsp cardamom powder + salt in 1 glass water
- Cardamom oil is used in aromatherapy: As a diffuser, in a massage blend oil
We hope this article helps you! For more on nutrition and controlling lifestyle diseases, click here or speak to a GOQii Coach by subscribing for Personalised Health Coaching here.
Well written article and useful 👌🏼
Thank you Suman
Excellently written and well presented.👍
Mahima Vishwakarma says
So useful., will try to include cardamom more often.
Rakesh Shivappa says
Made me contemplate on the use of cardomom much more which more or less is kept reserved usually for special occasions. Good work.
Very nice 👌
Ramya Girish says
Nice one.with all the required information 👍
Thank you so much☺️
UTPAL DEBNATH says
Thank you for published such kind of useful article. Became to know the benefits of cardamom.
George Lukose says
Good Article. Short and crisp.
Informative and healthy post
Rajesh Katwal says
Very useful and informative.Everyone must use it on a daily basis!!
Deepak S says
It always felt refreshing to have elachi tea!
Great to know the science behind! And the other ways to consume elachi, very informative
Amazing to know about this little pod. Very informative write up
Archana Singh Chouhan says
Very informative even cardamom boosts metabolism and helps the body burn fat more effectively.” Managing conditions like indigestion, constipation, and water retention, elaichi makes for an important weight loss spice.
Sadasiva Dasgupta says
Nicely written. Many hidden facts about cardamom have come to the surface, which should be utilized by us.
Good Article.. Thankyou for sharing..
This content is fantastic. Your content is very useful keep it up, this content has taught me a lot, thanks