The very word Navratri brings to our mind joyous dance, music and fasting. Fasting during navratri has been a traditional practice which rekindles our stomach fire to get rid of toxins from the body. Erratic eating habits make our digestive system weak. This results in lower immunity. Fasting is a cleaning therapy which reboots our immune system by regenerating the immune cells. Sharad Navratri falls during October-November when there is a seasonal change which leads to decline in immunity, making our body vulnerable to infections and diseases. Hence, Sattvik food eaten during navratri is light on the digestive system.
How To Fast and Build Immunity During Navratri
The corona pandemic has changed the way we celebrate our festivals, there is confusion as to follow the fasting tradition or skip it. I recommend going ahead with it with the tips I’m suggesting below:
- Avoid long periods of starvation as this can lower immunity and make us susceptible to infections.Have fruits, dry fruits and nuts at regular intervals.
- As we want to ease our digestive system by fasting, choose light food and not fried food. Buckwheat, water chestnut atta, samak rice and sweet potatoes are nutritious options.
- Keep the body well hydrated during by having coconut water or nimbu pani in the morning. Butter milk is another great option. Have fruits and veggie infused water to level up the water intake. Avoid sodas and aerated drinks.
- With few options available during Navratri, choose your food wisely. Opt for cottage cheese and makhana rather than potato chips or any fried options.
- Since many people observe salt restriction during the fast, do not go overboard with sugar. Replace sugar with jaggery or honey.
- Eat at least 3-4 servings of fruits during Navratri fast as our movements are restricted due to the pandemic and high fiber will help you stay lean.
We hope these tips on fasting and building immunity during Navratri help you celebrate to the fullest! Do leave your thoughts in the comments below. For more on Navratri, check out Healthy Reads or tune in to GOQii Play for more tips on safety and building your immunity!
Shubh Navratri and #BeTheForce