We are well aware of how contagious COVID-19 is. Research has found that the coronavirus creates inflammation in the body. Inflammation has been connected to most of the major diseases of our time and over half of us are living with chronic inflammation driven by diet, stress and lack of sleep. According to the National Foundation of Infectious Diseases, older adults are considered to be at high risk as compared to others because their immunity weakens as they age. The risk increases with 50+ and those who are 85+ are more vulnerable to severe infection. WHO has provided guidelines and coronavirus prevention tips for older adults to manage themselves during this pandemic.
Coronavirus Prevention Tips For Older Adults
Some of the basic guidelines suggested by WHO include:
- Washing hands frequently with proper hand wash
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and ears with unwashed hands
- Wear a mask when going out
- Clean frequently touched surfaces with disinfectants
- Avoid going out if you are sick
- Cough or sneeze into your flexed elbow to avoid spread of the virus
- Maintain social-distancing of about 6feet (1meter)
- Do not go out in public places even if you feel healthy, if important follow all the instructions given by local authorities
- Socialize over the phone with friends and relatives
- Avoid unnecessary traveling
For Adults With Health Conditions
- Older adults with underlying health conditions such as diabetes, BP, cholesterol, thyroid, kidney problems, asthma etc. should avoid going out. Do not visit the hospital unless necessary.
- Take precautions if you suffer from respiratory disorders
- Monitor your health via devices to avoid panic. You can use the GOQii Smart Vital to measure your blood oxygen levels (SpO2), body temperature, heart rate and blood pressure. You can also use the GOQii Vital ECG to check and detect issues such as arrhythmia and other abnormalities in heart rhythm.
- Prefer online consultation and purchase medicines online too.
- Plan 2 weeks in advance and purchase daily requirements online
- Get vaccinated as soon as you can. For now, this is the best preventive measure you can take.
- Forego vices such as smoking, alcohol and consuming tobacco products as they may deteriorate or worsen health conditions.
Some Health Tips You Can Follow
- Switch to a healthy diet: Include whole grains, cereals, pulses, fruits, vegetables, seeds and nuts.
- Maintain healthy weight: If overweight, try to reduce your weight gradually in a healthy way. Your GOQii Coach can help you with this!
- Reduce stress: Don’t panic in critical situations and don’t over stress as this can lead to low immunity levels.
- Sleep well: Proper and timely sleep is very crucial in maintaining health. The quality of your sleep also matters. Read more about sleep in our Sleep Series: https://goqii.com/blog/?s=sleep+series
- Keep yourself hydrated: Have at least 3 liters of water everyday. Should be adjusted according to individual needs.
- Exercise regularly: Even mild exercise such as walking or yoga accompanied by pranayama can go a long way in keeping you healthy!
- Boost your immunity: Immunity of a person can be boosted in many ways through nutrition, exercise, etc. It is believed that acquired immunity can be made strong by following a healthy lifestyle. Get some immunity boosting tips here: https://goqii.com/blog/?s=immunity
- Avoid processed and packaged foods: They are high in fats, sugar and salt. Preservatives present in these items lower our immunity.
Foods That You Can Eat
- Dark green leafy vegetables: Such as spinach, methi etc. are rich in vitamins and minerals.
- Fruits: Especially citrus fruits like orange, strawberry, sweet lime, lemon etc.
- Unsalted nuts and seeds: Flax seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds etc. provides good fats.
- Fatty fish: Salmon, sardines are rich sources of beneficial fatty acids and omega 3.
- Olive oil and coconut oil: Prefer cold pressed, virgin, double filtered and filtered ones.
- Millets and whole grains: Ragi, oats, barnyard, little millet etc. as they provide more fibers compared to refined products.
- Green tea: Rich in antioxidants and flavonoids, green tea helps in boosting immunity.
- Herbs: such as ginger, garlic, turmeric pepper corns, cinnamon, giloy, tulsi, etc. helps in boosting immunity.
- Probiotics like curds, ACV etc. keep the gut healthy!
We hope these immunity boosting coronavirus prevention tips for older adults help you stay healthy and active! Let us know your thoughts in the comments below! For more on the health and wellness of senior citizens, check out Healthy Reads or tune in to classes on GOQii Play.
To get more tips directly from your GOQii Coach, sign up for personalized coaching now: https://goqiiapp.page.link/bsr
Leave a Reply