In my earlier blog on the importance of yogurt, I got some really good responses which prompted me to write this second blog on recipes from yogurt that can be healthy snacks. Many a times we are in dilemma to have the right kind of healthy snacks as mid-meal snacks. I too get confused at times. To ease this dilemma I have here some good and quick recipes for healthy snacks to suffice your hunger.
- Strawberry yogurt ice-cream:
1 cup- Plain unflavoured low fat yogurt
3 pieces medium sized -Fresh Strawberry
1 tablespoon -Organic honey
Chopped Nuts- to taste (optional)
- Chop strawberries into 4 pieces
- Grind plain yogurt and strawberries in mixer or juicer.
- Add honey while mixing in juicer.
- Keep it to freeze in deep freezer for 2 hours and again grind it once in juicer. You can again freeze it or store it till 2 days.
- Top with chopped nuts to taste.
- Enjoy your tempting ice-cream
Tip: you can use any fruit from your list of favourites….to enjoy different antioxidants and multivitamins….like blueberries, pomegranate, banana, papaya etc. Any flavour you like to add….
- Yogurt veggie bread spread
Plain unflavoured low fat yogurt -1 cup
Carrot, cucumber, beetroot chopped- ¼ cup
Black pepper powder- to taste
Cold pressed coconut oil- 1 teaspoon for taste (optional)
Salt to taste
Honey 1 teaspoon
- Beat the yogurt till it becomes creamy.
- Add honey salt and pepper powder to it and beat again
- Little strain chopped veggies to remove extra water
- Add chopped veggies and mix it well …
- Enjoy your bread spread with brown bread for quick breakfast.
Tips- you can add on any flavours seasonings to make it tangy and tasty.
- Anti-inflammatory Garlic-spinach Yogurt
- 1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon any vegetable cooking oil
- 8-10 baby spinach
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 1 1/2 cups plain low fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh coriander
- Sea salt and black pepper powder to taste/ one green chilli paste
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in pan. Add spinach to toss it to remove excess water, then coarsely chop.
- Mix chopped spinach, garlic, yogurt, coriander, and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium bowl; season it with salt and pepper or chilli. Cover and chill at least 1 hour before serving.
Tip- you can store it for two days.
4. Yogurt veggies soupy delight
- Low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoons sesame seeds, coriander seeds, and cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 whole black peppercorns
- 1 clove
- 1 carrot, 4 medium tomatoes, 1 inch ginger
- 1 tablespoon butter or homemade butter
- Rock salt to taste
- Toast cumin seeds, fennel seeds, coriander seeds, sesame seeds and chopped garlic in ½ teaspoon ghee or butter in a pan.
- Boil carrot, tomato, clove, ginger, pepper corns into pressure cooker, let it cool down
- After cooling grind all boiled mix veggies and tossed spices into a fine paste add water to make a thin soup.
- Once again boil the grinded mixture till one boils and add rock salt. Remove from flame.
- Serve hot topped with desi ghee and add a scoop of low fat plain yogurt middle of the soup bowl. Enjoy the delight.
- Chickpea-Yogurt Dip
Chickpea-Yogurt Dip- with wheat nachos do you want a tasty dip. Here you go –
- 2 small garlic cloves
- Half cup chickpeas, rinsed
- ½ cup plain low fat Greek yogurt
- A large pinch of ground cumin
- 3 tablespoon olive oil plus more for serving
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pomegranate seeds (for serving)
- Coarsely chopped fresh mint (for serving)
- First step to puree garlic, chickpeas, yogurt, cumin and 2 Tbsp. Oil into thick paste.
- Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Top with 1tbsp oil, pomegranate seeds, and mint.
- Enjoy the treat with wheat nachos.
6. Rose delight with Beet Yogurt
- 3 medium red beets, trimmed or grated
- Sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups plain low fat Greek yogurt
- 8-10 fresh or dried rose petals for aroma and flavour
- 1 teaspoon rose water
- Just parboil whole beetroot and grate them coarsely.
- Beat yogurt and add rose water, sea salt, mix well.
- Add grated beetroot in yogurt.
- Garnish with rose petals.
- Rose delight is ready to delight your day.
Health benefits of these recipes:
- Boon for improving Gut Microflora.
- Acts as anti-inflammatory food,
- Loaded with antioxidants.
- Veggies provide dietary fiber for better digestion and best for fat loss.
- Helps to improve HDL (good cholesterol) and reduces bad cholesterol
(LDL, VLDL, Tryglycerides)
- Improves glow of skin
- Loaded with multivitamins and nutrients for better health.
CAUTION: Choose the low fat and unflavoured yogurt to get all these mentioned benefits, as flavoured yogurt have more sugars.