The weather has been great and if you’re thinking about venturing outdoors for a little hike or trek in the lap of nature, it might be a good time to get to it! Whether you’re a seasoned trekker or if this is one of your first few treks, we all need a checklist before we make the climb. So what monsoon trekking essentials will you need? Let’s go over them!
Monsoon Trekking Essentials You Will Need
- Windcheater/Poncho: This accessory makes it to the top of the list for a reason. This is one of the trekking essentials you will need if you’re planning a trek during the monsoon. With the rain being unpredictable, it is imperative to keep yourself and your belongings as dry as possible. A basic poncho is a must have! Additionally, also carry a bag cover for your backpack so that all your trekking essentials are safe!
- Trekking or Hiking Boots: When trekking during the monsoon, having a firm grip is everything because the terrain gets slippery and you might get severely injured if you’re not careful! Invest in a good pair of trekking or hiking boots that are sturdy enough. Practice with them on flat as well as uneven surfaces, so you break into them before your next climb.
- Water Bottle or Hydra Pack: Staying hydrated on your journey is a must. You need to keep replenishing all the fluids you lose when you make a climb. Carry a minimum of 2L of water in a bottle or a hydra pack and remember to sip slowly and not gulp.
- Healthy Snacks: Trekking can be a strenuous activity and your body needs fuel to perform that activity. To keep going, carry a nutritious trail mix or protein bars that will energize you along the way. You can also carry some healthy cookies!
- The Right Clothes: Carry a Dri-Fit t-shirt or a full sleeved shirt. It will help absorb the sweat quicker and keep you dry. Moreso, wearing full sleeves along with trekking pants (avoid shorts) will save you from getting scratched against shrubs and bushes along the trail. Make sure you also carry a towel, an extra pair of clothes and socks in case you get wet.
- Ziplock: There’s no harm in carrying gadgets you need on a trek but you must have a ziplock to keep them safe! Carry one where you can store your phone, electronics such as a portable charger and even your wallet to protect it from unexpected rainfall.
- First Aid Kit: As much as we may try to avoid them, injuries might happen. Even if it is a small cut along the way. Always carry a first aid kit with cotton, bandage and a disinfectant. Make sure that a hand sanitizer is also a part of your first aid kit because hygiene comes first!
- Power bank: You don’t want your phone’s battery running low during an emergency. Keep a power bank handy to ensure that your phone is charged just as much as you are!
There you have it! Carry these basic monsoon trekking essentials and you’re good to go! If you’re a beginner and new to trekking, you should also check out our previous article where we covered the Top 10 Basic Trekking Tips For Beginners.
We hope this article helps you. Do share your thoughts in the comments below! If you need any help to train or build your stamina for a trek, reach out to a GOQii Coach by subscribing for Personalised Health Coaching here: https://goqiiapp.page.link/bsr
Leave a Reply