Acidity is one of the most common problems that most individuals face. This is largely due to wrong eating habits and sometimes even stress. Bad eating, stress in a way is all connected. One leads to another and that, in turn, leads to unhealthy living and problems such as acidity.
But, to find a solution to the problem it is first important to understand what is Acidity?
Acidity is a term used for a set of symptoms caused by excess production of acid by the gastric glands of the stomach. The stomach normally secretes hydrochloric acid which is required for the breakdown and digestion of food that we eat. Acidity causes symptoms like dyspepsia, heartburn gastric inflammation, and ulcers in the stomach.
Now, there are some factors which cause acidity such as eating habits, fad diets, stress, smoking and alcohol consumption, lack of physical activity, irregularity in eating pattern, consumption of oily and spicy foods. Apart from these certain medicines are too responsible for the cause of acidity.
Some of the symptoms which can be felt as a result of acidity can be:
- Burning session in the stomach
- Burning session in the throat
- Sour taste
As correctly said, “Prevention is better than cure”
So let us look at some of the parameters to prevent acidity.
- Don’t consume spicy food or fried foods too often.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables. One should be taking at least 2 servings of fruits and 3-4 servings of vegetables. Green leafy vegetables would be a really good choice to go for.
- Eat small, regular meals. Try to reduce the gap between meals to not more than 3 hours.
- Consume your last meal at least a few hours before sleeping.
- Chew tulsi leaves, cloves, saunf (Aniseed), etc.
- Avoid medications like NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) and steroids
- Reduce stress. Deep breathing, going for a walk and being in nature are some of the activities which can help in reducing stress.
However, if you are already suffering from acidity, I am discussing below some of the home remedies of acidity which really work. So before you start with antacids for the treatment, do try these home remedies and you may get rid of the problem.
- Basil leaves: Eat basil leaves thoroughly at first sign of acidity. Can also boil 4-5 leaves in a cup of water for 15 minutes.
- Cinnamon: Add half spoon of cinnamon powder in a cup of water, boil for few minutes and drink this 2-3 times a day.
- Grind half to one teaspoon of methi (fenugreek) seeds with little water to make a paste. Mix it in a glass of buttermilk and have it.
- Add a tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to a cup of buttermilk and keep it for 5 minutes before drinking.
- Mix a pinch of black pepper in a glass of buttermilk.
- Mix a tablespoon of coriander leaf juice in a glass of buttermilk.
- Apple Cider vinegar:
- Mix 1-2 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in half a cup of water and drink.
- Mix 2 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with 1 teaspoon of organic honey and drink before eating a spicy meal.
- Cloves: Chew 2-3 cloves thoroughly
- Jaggery: Jaggery is high in potassium. After each meal, take a small piece.
- Can take 2-3 teaspoon of ginger juice in a day for combating acidity.
- Can boil ginger in water and drink the water twice a day.
- Cumin seeds:
- Crush roasted cumin seeds and stir in a glass of water. Drink after each meal.
- Boil seeds in water, strain and drink.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of coriander seed powder, a teaspoon of cumin seed powder and a teaspoon of fennel seed powder and some sugar in half cup of water and drink empty stomach.
- Aniseed: Soak a teaspoon of aniseed in a cup of boiled water overnight. In the morning, strain the water add a teaspoon of organic honey and sip it at least 3 times during the day.
- Cold milk: After a meal, drink a glass of cold milk, not iced milk.
- Lemon and ginger juice 15 minutes post meal, zaps acidity quickly.
If eating right and proper preventive measures are adhered to, Acidity can be averted.
We trust that this article has provided you with valuable insights into understanding and preventing acidity-related issues. Have you discovered effective home remedies or preventive measures for acidity? Feel free to share your experiences and insights in the comments section below. For more tips on maintaining digestive health and overall well-being, check our Healthy Reads. If you’re seeking personalised guidance and support from certified experts, don’t hesitate to subscribe to GOQii’s Personalised Health Coaching here.
Start your journey towards better digestive health and a happier life today!