- Choose and learn to like healthy food options: Many people who aim to lose fat and live a healthy life go on crash diets or have boiled meals thinking that their only way to achieve their goal is to eat bland food. It’s just a myth that “healthy” foods are not very appetizing. There are many recipes which are very healthy and also very delicious. The best way to start a healthy living is to do some research and make a list of some healthy recipes that are low in processed ingredients and are appetizing.
- Always start your day with a nutritious breakfast: Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. After a long gap of 6-7 hours of sleep, our body needs the fuel (calories) to get our metabolism going and give us the sustained energy throughout the day. Breakfast should be a combination of quality carbohydrates, proteins and fats.
- Mid- meal snacking: If you have the habit of snacking between meals during the day, select healthy snacking options. Opt for a serving of fruit or a handful of nuts that have good fibre content, vitamins and minerals. Avoid having snacks made out of refined flour, refined sugar and deep fried snacks.
- Eat at regular intervals: Missing meals and eating after long gaps is a big no-no! A log gap between two meals switches our body to “starvation mode”. While in starvation mode, the BMR of the body reduces drastically to save energy. This environment in the body makes it very difficult to lose fat. Having meals at regular intervals keeps the BMR on the higher side and helps a lot in giving effective fat loss. It also avoids one from binge eating.
- Opt for whole foods: Whole foods include whole grains and products made out of whole grains, fruits and vegetables. These foods are rich in Fibre, do not spike blood sugar levels and fill the stomach. They give satiety for a long period of time without adding on unnecessary calories. Fibrous foods are heavy to digest, increase the BMR of the body and hence give effective fat loss. Enjoying an occasional treat sometimes is fine, but, make it a habit to eat more whole foods.
- Load your plate with salads and soups: Water-rich vegetables like cucumbers, gourds, tomatoes etc. gives satiety and avoids consumption of too many calories. Soups are also very water-rich foods but, choose clear soups over creamy soups. Having water-rich foods does not mean that one needs to ignore the good old water!
- Practice mindful eating: It is very important that we concentrate on the food we eat and enjoy it. Mind and body connection is very powerful. Never eat sitting in front of a TV, while working on gadgets, when angry, depressed or tensed. In such times we tend to eat more and add on unnecessary calories. Chew the food well; it improves the process of digestion. Portion control is very important; it prevents adding on unnecessary calories. Also, guilt-eating is bad! Giving self an occasional treat will cut too much temptation and avoid binge eating.
- Avoid stocking tempting foods at home: Never stock at home tempting, unhealthy foods like biscuits, cookies, cream crackers, chips, ice-creams, milk chocolates and deep fried snacks because, if you don’t have these in the house, you won’t be tempted to eat them.
- Avoid “white” or “refined” foods: Foods made out of refined flour and refined sugars are of “low benefit and high risk”! They tend to increase the blood sugar levels drastically causing fat gain and diabetes. They also rob the body of certain vitamins. Refined foods are very low in fibre content and cause digestive disorders like hyperacidity, constipation, haemorrhoids, anal fissures etc.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day: Water is the best fat burner. 70% of our body is made up of water. Water acts as a catalyst, a reactant and a solvent in almost all the biochemical reactions taking place in the body. This keeps the body functions going on and helps in keeping the BMR on the higher side thus, giving effective fat loss. People believe that water should be had only when thirsty but that is not true. Thirst is, actually, a late indicator of dehydration. It’s best to drink water before feeling thirsty. Our mind sometimes registers thirst as hunger. At such times, instead of eating something just drink a big glass of water. Water acts as a medium through which toxins produced in the body are flushed out. Water enhances the production of new blood cells and muscle cells. Drinking good amounts of water also prevents digestive tract ailments such as hyperacidity, constipation, haemorrhoids, etc.
Only if I could find more posts like this one, that would be great.
James Chompoo says
Taking up a sport is also a way to remain fit and healthy. Any of the sport which is of your interest would be great. Thanks for the blog, all the tips are very beneficial for healthy living.
Living well therapy says
Pro tips for living a healthy life. Drinking enough water is very important and you need to take the required input along with exercises to stay fit!