If you have grandparents, you may be familiar with instances of them forgetting to take their medicines or forgetting names. This is due to weak memory power. Ever wondered why their memory is so weak? How can one boost memory power? Let’s understand this better!
What is Memory Power? Why is it Necessary to Boost it?
Memory power is the capacity of the brain to remember things. You can remember things for a short period of time or a long period of time depending on the importance of the information. Your brain decides what needs to be saved as a memory depending on the intensity of the matter.
From the above example of grandparents, weak memory happens due to decreased blood flow to the brain. Hormones and proteins protecting brain cells decrease with age, leading to reduced cognitive skills and memory power which result in forgetfulness.
Individuals who work long and hard for a presentation often tend to forget key points. This may happen due to the anxiety and stress which affects the nervous system. The nervous system plays an important role in memory. You may have noticed that when we try to rush, we often forget things such as a snack or a water bottle.
The best way to overcome this lapse in memory is to improve the blood flow to the brain. A few lifestyle changes and focus on certain food and boost memory power.
Lifestyle Changes to Consider
Lifestyle plays a major role when it comes to maintaining bodily functions such as gaining or losing weight, disease management and intelligence as well!
- Healthy Weight: Being overweight impairs bodily functions. This includes the brain. It causes neurodegenerative diseases like Dementia, Alzheimer’s and may also shrink the brain’s size. Maintaining a healthier body weight by decreasing the body fat percentage and improving muscle mass can help prevent cognitive problems.
- Physical Activity: Doing some form of physical activity improves blood flow to all the organs including the brain. It also improves the amount of oxygen delivered to the brain. You must exercise daily, be it walking, jogging, swimming or any kind of sports at least for 30-40 mins a day. Yoga and meditation can also be included as they heal your brain by improving oxygen levels.
- Proper Sleep: Sleep is a phenomenon which is often neglected despite the fact that it has a greater impact on one’s health! A lot of psychological changes happen when an individual is asleep. Lack of sleep can affect memory formation. A peaceful 6-7 hours of sleep can boost your memory power and a powerful day nap of 30-40 mins can also help sharpen your memory.
- Stress & Depression: These conditions can damage brain cells and cause memory loss. Reduce stress by laughing. Laughing engages multiple regions of the brain and also reduces stress and improves memory power!
Foods to Boost Memory Power
Nourishing yourself is the best way to improve your IQ level or memory power. To maintain brain health, avoid sugary drinks, refined carbs and unhealthy fats. Opt for nourishing and well-balanced meals.
- Turmeric: Curcumin is the active compound found in turmeric. It has several health benefits. It protects the brain, reduces brain inflammation and boosts memory power by removing plaques. 2 gram of freshly grounded turmeric is recommended.
- Blueberries: Due to its unique antioxidant properties, Blueberries help in boosting memory power. This is done by reducing the oxidative stress on neural tissues which improve brain functioning. Add them to your breakfast cereal or munch on them as a snack. You can even add them to your milkshakes, smoothies or salads!
- Dark Chocolate: It contains compound flavonoids which improve blood flow to the brain and help in learning and improving intelligence.
- Fish: Fishes such as salmon, tuna and mackerel are all good sources of Omega 3 fatty acid which help in improving blood flow to the brain. They make you smarter.
- Nuts & Seeds: Nuts, especially like miniature brain shaped walnuts and seeds like pumpkin seeds are filled with healthier fats which improve brain functioning. Pumpkin seeds are loaded with zinc, magnesium and iron, the absence of which may make your brain stop functioning.
We hope this article helps you improve your brain function and make you smarter! Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.
If you found this article useful and would like to read more, click here. For more tips on improving brain function with exercise, nutrition, sleep and stress management, speak to an expert by subscribing for GOQii’s Personalised Health Coaching here.