I am sure that we are all a little too familiar with the term acidity or more particularly acid reflux. It is a condition that causes a burning sensation in the lower part of our food pipe. Basically, the digestive process in our stomach spills back into our oesophagus due to relaxation of the valve dividing them. As we all know, stomach juices consist of Hydrochloric acid (HCl) – which is not good for the membranes of our oesophagus – hence, the burning sensation.
Usually such situations can be brought under control by using a base neutralizer such as baking soda, ENO, etc. But such solutions are not viable because they provide temporary relief along with a strong possibility of a worse acidic rebound. This calls for an alternate solution, a natural one preferably.
How To Fight Acid Reflux Naturally With Food
- Popped Rice: It is very alkaline in nature, easy to digest and moreover absorbs the excess acid from the stomach. It is famous in Maharashtra and is called as “Salichya Lahya” which is the part of Diwali prasad. Just eat a handful of these with ‘Khadi sakhar/Mishri’ (Rock candy) or boil the lahya in water, cool the water, strain and drink. It helps with acidity. This low calorie snack absorbs the residual acid and neutralizes the stomach’s pH. Popped sorghum (jowar) is a decent alternative to this.
- Banana: is a fruit that can be found everywhere. It has multiple health benefits and preventative abilities that many people tend to overlook. We just think that they are healthy and consume them. Their high roughage content helps strengthen our digestive system which in turn helps in prevention of indigestion. The soluble fibers present in the banana wash away the food remaining in the digestive tract. Those sticky food morsels serve no purpose except to create unnecessary acid. All this along with the added bonus of nutrients like potassium, Magnesium, vitamin C, antioxidants and phytonutrients.
- Ash Gourd: This food item right here is slightly elusive. It belongs to the family of cucumbers. It’s also known as green pumpkin or white melon. The symptoms of acid reflux syndrome can be alleviated by its active principles such as Terpenes, Flavonoid C, glycosides, and sterols. They have antioxidant properties that help in inhibiting gastric mucosal damage. Five teaspoons of boiled ash guard along with jaggery 2 times a day is the best way to get instant relief. You can also make juice, raita or sabji.
- Raisins: Despite their tiny size, raisins pack a punch full of nutrition! The fiber in it absorbs excess stomach acid. Raisins also contain minerals such as potassium, magnesium, copper and iron which help in balancing acid levels as these minerals are alkaline or basic on the pH scale. Soak 10-15 raisins in water overnight and consume them as first thing in the morning (along with the water).
- Potatoes: Bland starches are a good choice when it comes to foods that are easy on the stomach linings. Potatoes contain easily digestible fiber that can help neutralize stomach acid. Potato is naturally alkaline, rich in potassium salt which helps restrict acidity. Try baked, boiled, or mashed potatoes only and strictly avoid the fried ones.
It’s always best to use the most natural and easily accessible solutions possible. The above foods not only provide relief from acid reflux but also contribute to a healthy lifestyle! Try them now if you’re facing this condition and let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
For more information on acidity and acid reflux, check out Healthy Reads or ask your GOQii Coach directly by subscribing for personalized coaching here: https://goqiiapp.page.link/bsr