Quinoa is a grain like any other grains or cereals that we consume on a daily basis and is definitely a better option to include and to avoid monotony in our daily routine. It is obtained from plant which tastes like spinach. Although it is mostly eaten in Northern America, it is now getting worldwide recognition. Quinoa is a whole grain which has striking health benefits.
Quinoa is a very good source of manganese, phosphorus, copper, magnesium, dietary fibre, folate , and zinc, protein, antioxidants than any other grain including Vitamin B6, thiamin, niacin, potassium, and riboflavin, vitamin E and MUFA(mono unsaturated fatty acids)..Quinoa is a perfect food to include on a gluten-free diet, since it lacks gluten.
It is available in red, light yellow and black colour in market. It is a very interesting grain as it expands than its original size on cooking, here we will have an idea of cooking:
Always rinse Quinoa till soapy texture gets washed away (as it has saponin ; a toxic chemical substance) also it has bitter taste after repetitive wash. If the soapy texture does not go then rubbing it may help. Mixture of Quinoa and water should be 1:2 ratio, boil it, approximately it takes 15 minutes to cook. Once it gets cooked the germ gets detached and it looks translucent. If roasted on low heat before cooking it gives it a nuttier flavor. It can be refrigerated for 3 to 6 months.
It can be used as sprouts, in soups, porridge for breakfast; cooked Quinoa can be used in sandwiches and tossed over pasta. Quinoa can be mixed with brown rice and vegetables…and also you can make yummy Quinoa pudding. It can be popped like popcorn which children enjoy.
- It has good amount proteins for wear and tear of the tissues.
- Good for hypertension (low in cholesterol and sodium ), breathing problems and migraine pain as it relaxes blood vessels.
- It has abundance of fibre which improves digestion, hinders excess secretion of bile.
- It is good sources of calcium for bones.
- It is gluten free, which is good cereal option for people having gluten allergy.
- Manganese and copper acts as an antioxidant which prevents from free radicals produced in the body.
- It reduces triglycerides compared to gluten free breads and pastas.
We have seen the benefits of Quinoa but, let me tell you it does have oxalates which should be avoided in oxalate restricted diets (kidney stones).
So let’s try and inculcate some new stuff in your diet to become more healthy.
Leave a Reply