This topic is one of the most discussed in the bodybuilding community and is very controversial too. Both natural bodybuilding and steroid bodybuilding have been practiced since long and each group feels that their method of body building is “right”. Before coming to a conclusion, let’s first understand the difference between the two and then decide which one is better.
- Naturally bodybuilders do not use any sort of synthetic steroids or other drugs in order to build more muscle mass or get leaner. They entirely rely on lifting heavy weights, consuming a healthy diet and getting plenty of rest.
- Natural bodybuilders may not be able to put on as much muscle mass as steroid users but they build muscles that are long lasting and sustainable.
- Besides building muscles that last, they have a better overall health and faster metabolism.
- It reduces blood pressure, increases bone density and keeps cholesterol levels under control. It improves your metabolism, reduces your fat percentage and is a great stress buster.
- These builders use Anabolic-androgenic steroids. These drugs are a synthetic form of testosterone (the male hormone), are injected into the body for quick benefits but are illegal in most competitions.
- Steroids may give you the pump to train at a higher level than you could possibly do naturally. Your recovery rate would be faster, you would be able to train for longer and build more muscle mass but all of this comes with several side effects and are potentially dangerous, in the long run!
- Some of the serious side- effects of taking steroids for bodybuilding include:
- Hormonal Imbalances – Suppressed Testosterone Production
- Infertility, low libido, testicular atrophy, Gynecomastia (breast tissue growth in a man)
- Accelerated Hair loss
- Skin issues- Acne/oily skin
- Increased heart rate
- Increased LDL Cholesterol, Hypertension, Increased risk of Stroke/Heart attack
- Liver Toxicity
- Kidney Damage, Fluid retention
- Mental Health Issues, Insomnia, Mood Swings
- Increased risk of premature DEATH.
Which is Better?
After reading the potential side effects of steroids, I’m sure you understand why going the natural way is the better choice! If you are looking to improve your appearance and increase overall health without any negative side effects, then you should stick to natural bodybuilding.
The best way to stay healthy and maintain a muscular body for long is finding ways to increase the natural testosterone production rather than counting on steroids that have dangerous health risks and eventually lose your muscles. If you are willing to train hard, have a proper plan, you will surely achieve your goal without any artificial/synthetic drug support. So, just set your goal and go after it!
To learn more about the natural ways to increase testosterone levels and bodybuilding, check out Healthy Reads or consult a GOQii Coach by subscribing for personalized health coaching here: https://goqiiapp.page.link/bsr
It is extremely rare that a natural bodybuilder will have any signs of steroid-use, however it is possible. Such as acne scars during puberty or gynecomastia developed during their childhood years.
Nice and informative article, thank you. Go natural!
A very informative blog.