It is common knowledge that bacteria and germs spread more during monsoons. Given that we’re already amid a pandemic, a strong immune system becomes our first line of defense against any infection. To help you build up that defense, here are some immunity boosting kadhas to help you stay safe and healthy during monsoons.
4 Immunity Boosting Kadhas
1. Tulsi & Black Pepper Kadha
- Water – 2 cups
- Crushed black pepper – 1 tsp
- Finely chopped ginger – 1 tsp
- Desi ghee – ½ tsp
- Cloves – 2pc
- Few tulsi leaves
- Heat the ghee in a saucepan. Add cloves, black pepper, ginger and tulsi leaves
- Once the crackling of the spices stops, add water
- For the next 15-20 minutes, cook the mixture on a medium flame and stir it occasionally
- Have the kadha while it is hot
Benefits: This immunity boosting kadha improves the energy levels in the body. Tulsi and pepper are used to treat common cold and flu. It also helps reduce the inflammation of the chest and helps to expel mucus.
2. Turmeric and Cinnamon Kadha
- Black cardamom (badi elaichi) – 2 pc (you may use green elaichi if you don’t have black elaichi)
- Kacchi haldi – 1 inch
- Cloves – 2 pc
- Kali Mirch (according to taste)
- Tulsi (few leaves)
- Cinnamon -1 inch
- Ginger – ½ inch
- Small piece of jaggery (optional)
- Peel the turmeric and ginger and crush them
- Bring the water to boil and add all the spices
- Let it boil for 20-30 minutes till you get a nice yellow-coloured and aromatic drink
- Jaggery can be added for sweet taste.
Benefits: This kadha is packed with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, thus, it helps in relieving sore throat and cold.
3. Triphala Kadha
- Triphala powder – ½ tsp
- Lemon – few drops
- Honey – ½ tsp
- In a pan, add 1 cup water and triphala powder
- Bring it to boil and simmer for 5 minutes
- Let it cool down for a few minutes and add a few drops of lemon and honey to it.
Benefits: The antioxidative properties of three fruits i.e haritaki, bibhitaki and amla are there in kadha and the presence of vitamins like vitamin A and vitamin C are helpful for booting immunity.
4. Minty Herbal Kadha
- Fresh neem leaves – 5-6
- Mint leaves – ½ bunch
- Methi leaves – 4-5
- Fresh turmeric – 2 inch
- Cumin powder – ½ tsp
- Jaggery powder – ¼ tsp
- Water – 1 cup
- Pour water in a pan. Then add the neem leaves, mint leaves, methi leaves, raw turmeric and cumin powder to it and keep it on medium flame
- Let it cook for about 10 minutes, till some liquid vaporizes and the concentrate is formed
- Turn off the cooktop and allow the decoction to cool down a bit
- Strain the brew, blend jaggery powder and consume it warm.
Benefits: Neem is renowned for its antimicrobial traits and also purifies the blood. The herbs present in this kadhas are good for immunity as they guard against a host of bacteria and other viral ailments.
To ensure that our body remains fit and healthy, it’s important to build up its first line of defence. Natural immunity boosting herbs are easily available at home, convenient to incorporate in your daily routine and highly effective! So try out these immunity boosting kadhas. If there’s a special kadha you make at home, share it with us in the comments below!
For more on nutrition, check out Healthy Reads or tune in to classes by expert nutritionists on GOQii Play. To get these tips directly from your coach, sign up for personalized coaching here: https://goqiiapp.page.link/bsr