In the previous blog, we saw how Healthy Fats Are Good For Us. We now know that a nutritious eating plan doesn’t mean cutting out all fat, just focusing on healthier varieties. Not sure how to get started? How about some easy & delicious recipes that would not only add “Healthy Fats” to your intake but also satisfy your taste buds?
Try these recipes with healthy fats!
1. Salad with Flaxseed Oil Dressing Recipe
- Chopped Romaine Lettuce – 3 cups
- Mixed Green Vegetables – 2 cups
- Flaxseed oil – ¼ cup
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Soy Sauce, Low Sodium, Wheat-free – 2 tablespoons
- 100% Maple Syrup – 1 tablespoon
- Ground black pepper – ¼ teaspoon
- Sea salt – ¼ teaspoon
- Chop greens and place in a large salad bowl.
- Drizzle Flaxseed oil directly on greens and rotate bowl to evenly coat the greens with the oil.
- Squeeze the juice of one lemon directly onto the greens.
- Add soy sauce and maple syrup into bowl.
- With clean hands, toss the salad to evenly distribute the Flaxseed oil dressing throughout the salad.
- Add sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately in colorful salad bowls.
My Special Tip: To fully enjoy, create a salad bar that includes some great toppings, including cherry tomatoes, grapes, sliced reduced-fat cheddar cheese, cucumbers and thinly chopped red, orange and yellow bell peppers.
2. Chocolate Banana Peanut Butter Smoothie Recipe
- Fat-free Chocolate Milk or Low-fat Chocolate Soy Milk – 1 cup
- Ripe Banana – 1
- Peanut Butter – 1 tablespoon
- Ice Cubes – 4 to 6
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender or a food processor.
- Blend until smooth.
- Serve Cold
3. Kale Salad with Fresh Strawberries and Toasted Almonds
- Kale Leaves – 1 large bunch (9 cups bite-sized pieces kale leaves)
- Juice of 1 medium orange, divided
- Extra-virgin olive oil, divided – ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon
- Pinch of salt
- Orange Zest – 1 tablespoon
- Honey – 2 teaspoons
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Sliced strawberries (or blueberries, blackberries or raspberries) – 1 cup
- Dried currants or raisins – ¼ cup
- Slivered almonds or pine nuts, toasted – ¼ cup
- Remove and discard center ribs and stems from kale leaves. Tear kale leaves into bite-sized pieces.
- Combine kale, half of orange juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil and salt in a large bowl.
- Massage kale by scrunching small amounts with your clean hands, then releasing and repeating. With massaging, kale will soften, somewhat deepen in color and become more fragrant.
- Make the dressing by whisking remaining orange juice, orange zest, honey and pepper in a small bowl. Gradually whisk remaining ¼ cup olive oil into the juice mixture to combine well. Set aside.
- Pour the dressing over kale. Add strawberries, currants and toasted almonds. Toss gently.
- Let salad ingredients marinate for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
4. Avocado Chicken Salad with Kale
- Shredded Rotisserie Chicken – 1 cup
- Half Avocado Chunked
- Lemon Juice – 2 teaspoons
- Chopped Dill (Shepu) – 1 teaspoon
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 1 teaspoon
- Kale, torn into bite-sized pieces – 1 cup
- In a large bowl, massage the kale with olive oil. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- In another bowl, toss together chicken, avocado, lemon juice and dill, breaking down the avocado slightly for a creamier texture.
- Top kale with chicken salad and serve.
That’s it! Do try these delicious recipes with healthy fats and let us know your thoughts in the comments below!