Some spices and herbs from our grandmother’s stockpot are so precious that even today they are used in several households as home remedies. One such ayurvedic, age-old herb is Mulethi or Liquorice (also spelt as Licorice).
Liquorice is widely known for its exceptional flavor and is also used in several medicines as it claims to be anti-diabetic and antioxidant in nature, providing many health benefits.
Liquorice has an enticing scent, this comes from a variable and complex combination of compounds out of which anethole makes up 3% of the entire plant. Most of the sweetness comes from a substance called glycyrrhizin, it is generally 30 to 50 times sweeter than sugar.
7 Health Benefits of Liquorice
- Combats Digestive Issues: Mulethi is a magical root when it comes to curing digestive issues like acid reflux, stomach inflammation, ulcers, heartburn, acidity and constipation. It also acts as a mild laxative to regulate bowel movements.Dosage: Directly taken by mouth (chewing of the root) post meals, especially after dinner.
- Keeps The Respiratory Tract Healthy: It aids in easing a sore throat, asthma, cold, cough and other respiratory issues. Chewing on Liquorice sticks is an age-old remedy for a sore throat. It thins and loosens the mucus inside the airways and eases coughing and congestion.Dosage: If you want to avoid chewing on the sticks, you can also mix ginger juice to Liquorice tea. (Boiling Liquorice sticks in water)
- Helps in Weight Reduction: Liquorice oil helps to reduce visceral fat and body fat to a great extent in overweight people. Infact, Liquorice supplements have proven to help people achieve lower BMI and Low Density Lipoprotein.
- Improves Immunity: Regular use is helpful in boosting immunity due to the enzymes present in the root plant. It helps the body produce lymphocytes and macrophages that protect the body from microbes, pollutants, allergens. It is helpful to prevent microbial infections and also improve the defense mechanism of the body.Dosage: Directly taken by mouth (chewing of the root).
- Protects the Liver: Liquorice roots help to treat certain disorders like Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD), Hepatitis, Liver damage and Jaundice. It also has an anti-inflammatory property that soothes the liver.Dosage: Mixing Mulethi in a cup of warm tea twice a day for a couple of weeks can purify the liver and make it immune to diseases.
- Improves Oral Health: Its anti-microbial and anti-bacterial properties also reduce the growth of bacteria which causes cavities. It also combats bad breath, reduces plaque and keeps the gums and teeth healthy and strong.Dosage: Dried Mulethi powder to be used for brushing teeth and mouthwash, or try gargling with the cooled mulethi tea.
- Hormonal Regulation: The multipurpose herb also helps in correcting hormonal imbalances in the body and eases menopausal symptoms like hot flashes, insomnia, depression, mood swings, and sweating, etc. It is also useful in relieving menstrual cramps, and regulating flow during menstruation.Dosage: Mulethi tea twice a day.
If you have been familiar with any of the issues listed above, you should definitely give Liquorice Root a try!
Was this article helpful? Want to know more about Liquorice Root? Type your queries down in the comments below!