Quinoa is a gluten-free superfood that has been gaining a lot of popularity in the past few years, and it is actually pronounced as Kveen Vaa. Quinoa, though popular as a grain, is actually a seed. It has a nutty flavour and lacks the sweetness & stickiness of the rice. It is easier to cook than rice and you will love the taste. Although it is not as economical as rice, it is definitely worth a try! So let’s learn how to prepare super healthy and simple Vegetable Quinoa Pulao!
What You Will Need:
- Quinoa (wash and soak for 30 min) – 1 cup
- Onion (chopped) – ¼ cup
- Cauliflower (chopped) – ¼ cup
- French Beans (chopped) – ¼ cup
- Carrots (chopped) – ¼ cup
- Corn Kernels – ¼ cup
- Green Peas – ¼ cup
- Spinach – 2 tbsp
- Coriander – 2 tbsp
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 tbsp
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Cinnamon Stick – ½
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Turmeric, red chili powder, coriander seeds powder, garam masala as per taste
- Salt as per taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
How to Prepare:
- In a pan, heat oil and fry the bay leaf and cinnamon stick. Then, allow the cumin seeds to sizzle.
- Add the chopped onion along with ginger garlic paste and roast it well until slightly brown.
- Now, add all the other vegetables along with turmeric, red chili powder, coriander seeds powder, garam masala and salt. Sauté them well for 4-5 min.
- It is time to add the soaked quinoa (discard the water), give it a quick stir and cook it for 2-3 minutes. Now add 1.5 to 2 cups of water.
- After a boil, cover the pan with a lid and cook for 5-10 min until done. Mix the contents using a fork and not spatula to give it a Pulao consistency.
- Serve it hot with curd or raita.
Highlights of the Vegetable Quinoa Pulao
- This absolutely easy recipe gives you everything required for a balanced meal.
- It is high in protein and contains sufficient amount of all essential amino acids.
- 100% satiety with the fibre content it has in limited portion size.
- Fun Fact – a cup of Quinoa will provide twice the protein and about 5 gm of more fibre than the same amount of white rice.