You might have understood the basic idea about digital detox in the first part of this article. In this part, I’ll be sharing how you can actually digitally detox! I promise, after reading this, you will definitely want to give it a try.
What Happens To Your Brain and Body During a Detox?
Here are some good things that you can expect during a digital detox:
- Spending some time away from your phone that regularly beeps can result in a calmer state of mind.
- Staying away from social media can make you more productive and your memory power may improve.
- Your mind will be more clear & focused.
- You may have lower anxiety & stress levels.
- Growing awareness about how you use technology.
- Improvement in sleep quality.
- Better posture & reduced tech neck.
- Improved social life as you connect with people in reality & eye contact will become a thing again.
- Better engagement with yourself and the world around you.
Challenges You Might Face
- It will be uncomfortable at first as you might feel alone or disconnected.
- The thought of quitting the digital detox will fill your mind recurrently, but it will lessen over time.
- You may feel you are missing out even if there is nothing to miss out on other than pictures & gossips.
- Boredom will try to deter you as you might feel uncomfortable without having something to do.
- You might feel unproductive at first.
- Other people may directly or indirectly pressure you to quit.
- You might find it challenging to go out without a phone.
Easy Steps To Do A Digital Detox
For many of us, quitting gadgets completely is not at all possible. But here are few practical and easy ways you can try to have a taste of digital detox.
- First step in your digital detox journey can be observation of your daily digital involvement time. This will reinforce you to make a change and unplug.
- Clean your device. Delete old apps and social media accounts.
- Have a device free morning. Do not check your phone as soon as you wake up. In fact, keep your phone away during bedtime.
- Choose a day in a week when you will stay away from gadgets. On this day, focus more on health, meditation and spend time with family.
- Turn off notifications as they distract you constantly. Set a time for checking messages, emails and notifications.
- While reading, eating and doing some work when you need to focus, keep your phone out of sight in another room, or turn it on silent or vibration mode.
How Do You Ensure Digital Detox Success?
- Consider doing it during vacation or start with weekends if you have a technology focused job.
- Commit loudly: Let your family & friends know that you will not be available on social media during a particular period of time & ask for their help & support.
- Fill the void: Plan, in advance, some ways to stay distracted and some other activities/ hobbies in hand to keep you busy.
- To reduce temptation and easy access, delete social media apps from your phone.
- Keep a track of your progress and write down your thoughts & experiences.
- Plan for real meetings with your friends and family or simply go for a walk when you feel most tempted to use your gadgets.
Going device free might be a bit uncomfortable at first, but if you can just start doing it, you will find it much more rewarding. So try this detox over the coming weekend and share your feedback in the comments below!
For more tips on improving mental health, check out Healthy Reads or tune in to LIVE sessions by experts on GOQii Play. To get these tips directly from your GOQii Coach, sign up for our personal coaching service now: https://goqiiapp.page.link/wssu
Leave a Reply