The liver is the only organ in the human body that can regenerate itself! The liver’s primary function is detoxification. The other organs like intestines, kidneys and lungs work together with the liver to ensure that toxins are transformed into less harmful substances and excreted from the body via urine, stools, sweat or breath. A regular cleansing of these organs is essential to make sure they function smoothly. So, how do you detoxify your liver? It’s simple! You can detoxify your liver by correcting your lifestyle! That’s where yoga comes into the picture.
How Can Yoga Help Detoxify Your Liver?
There are a few asanas that stimulate the digestive system and massage the internal organs such as the liver. They make the abdominal muscles stronger and elastic. They are also effective in the proper removal of waste materials. It’s always good to incorporate some form of a twist into your yoga practice. Twists detoxify and rehydrate your spinal column while releasing any tension from bad posture. With proper alignment, twist variations can also reduce back pain and improve digestion. Include these twist variations in your yoga routine to stimulate your liver, which in turn will help it function better along with other digestive organs and muscles.
- Sit up with the legs stretched out straight in front of you on the floor.
- Keep the spine erect and toes flexed towards you.
- Slowly raise both the arms straight above your head and stretch up.
- Slowly breathe out and bend forward from the hip joint, chin moving toward the toes keeping the spine erect.
- Place your hands on your legs, wherever they reach, without putting much effort.
2. Ardha Chakrasana
Ardha Chakrasana can be done in different variations. Both the bending asanas have varied benefits.
- First take the tadasana position, raising your hands while you’re inhaling.
- Now, place your both hands on the backside of your hips.
- Breathe in and try to slowly backbend your upper body
- Lie down on a mat in a prone position. Keep your feet together.
- Now, place your hands on the floor at the level of your chest,
- Next, raise your upper body, Extend through and deepen your stretch to create a graceful arc in your back.
Shashankasana is one of the postures which is very easy to perform. There are some variations of shashankasana. One can do as per their comfort.
- Sit comfortably in Vajrasana and keep your palms on your thighs.
- Inhale and raise your hand straight upwards and stretch.
- Now exhale and bend forward.
- Touch your nose or chin to the ground.
- Keep your arms stretched and palms on the ground.
5. Anulom Vilom
I know this is not an asana , but a Pranayama practice. I am including this because of the benefits this breathing practice has on our body internally and externally. Oxygen is pure and required by the body for every single process to take place and therefore it is vital for us to breath right and lom vilom serves the purpose, also it is my favourite !
- Close the right nostril with the right thumb. Inhale slowly through the left nostril.
- Remove your thumb from your right nostril, as you remove your thumb from your right nostril just exhale.
- When you exhale use your middle finger to close your left nostril then inhale with your right nostril and remove the thumb from the right nostril then exhale. Repeat this process .
There are many other poses which have varied benefits. These are a few which are simple and can be performed at home. It is advisable to perform the practice as per one’s body’s capacity and avoid going beyond or forcing the body. Do consult your doctor before you begin any yoga practice.
We hope these yoga poses to detoxify your liver help you! Do leave your thoughts in the comments below. For more on yoga, check out Healthy Reads or join an expert on a live, interactive session on GOQii PRO within the GOQii App.