It’s summer—that amazing time of year where the fresh produce brings in lots of nutrient-rich, healthy choices. But, what about the scorching heat and associated dehydration, perspiration, rashes, itchiness and tiredness we experience? Well, of course – drink more water! Now apart from the lemon juice and watermelons, have you tried any other natural coolant? Let me remind you of these food products our grandma used every summer to keep the heat at bay.
Foods To Help You Keep Your Summer Cool!
- Kokam: Kokam juice is a very refreshing drink with a cooling effect on the body. It not only quenches thirst, but also prevents dehydration and sunstroke due to summer heat. Kokam has other health benefits too like the garcinol present in kokam has excellent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, which help prevent the growth of cancer cells. The hydroxyl acetic acid helps reducing the conversion of carbohydrates to fats, preventing fat deposition.
- Dried Black Currants: Dried Black Currants are an excellent source of nutrients that are essential for health, including dietary fiber, copper, manganese and potassium. Potassium allows electrochemical balance which allows muscle contraction and nerve cell impulse transmission to occur properly. Because of water loss, potassium becomes quite important.
- Fennel Seeds: Fennel is an aromatic and flavorful herb that has several culinary as well as medicinal uses. In addition to its popular use as a breath freshener, it helps relieve a number of ailments and facilitates better health due to its anti inflammatory, antimicrobial, expectorant, diuretic, anticarcinogenic and antioxidant properties. It contains vitamin C, potassium, manganese, iron, folate, and fiber as well. It is also rich in phytonutrients and has a high concentration of volatile oils. It cools the body off by increasing perspiration and maintaining body temperature.
- Rock sugar candy or Mishri or khadishaker (in Hindi): Mishri or Rock Sugar is a crystallized sugar, sweet candy that is packed with numerous health benefits. Mishri is widely used as a refreshing drink during summers, Fennel seed powder with ground Mishri makes a refreshing drink to fight the harsh summer heat. It exerts a soothing effect on the mind and body and relaxes you from stress.
- Sattu: Sattu is extremely beneficial for your health. It is extracted from barely, wheat or gram. Mix sattu, little lemon juice drops, salt and roasted cumin powder to get a very healthy drink!
With these food one can also use:
- Curd or buttermilk.
- Raw mango
- Coconut water
- Bottle gourd
- Salad leaves (especially mint leaves)
During summer, it’s always best to go for a light meal which can be easily digested. Oily and junk food should be avoided. Avoid too much of tea and coffee as it contains caffeine which results in dehydration. Limit your tea and coffee intake to two cups a day. You can switch to green tea as it contains antioxidants which can help you during summer.
Do not eat spicy, hot and extremely salty food as they are hard to digest and will have ill effects on the skin and digestion. Also avoid consuming foods that are not in season as they may come with the risk of chemicals and preservatives that are applied to fruits and veggies to keep them fresh.
We hope these tips help you keep your summer cool! For more tips on managing your diet and nutrition during summer, check out Healthy Reads or get expert advice from a GOQii Coach by subscribing for personalized health coaching here: https://goqiiapp.page.link/bsr