Who doesn’t want a radiant, glowing and youthful complexion? Little do we know, our skin is like the blueprint of what goes inside the body, stress levels, sleep and lifestyle in general!
Clear skin is not just determined by the lotion and creams that one applies but is predominantly influenced by the food that we eat. Health experts in this field say that minerals play an important role, so we need to feed our skin inside out. Apart from vitamins A, C, E, K, these minerals have a tremendous power to provide clear and youthful skin. Minerals are like spark plugs which keep our engine running!
Some Important Minerals For Clear Skin
Most of us pay attention to vitamins but neglect these minerals which are required in very minimum quantities. A few of them include:
- Selenium: has great antioxidant properties which help in protecting against the harsh UV rays. It supports skin elasticity and flexibility. It is also said to protect against skin cancer. Dietary sources: fish, brazilian nuts, chicken
- Zinc: Having sufficient amounts of zinc in your diet helps in reducing the amount of oil production in the skin. Excess oil in the skin can support bacterial growth and infection and block the pores. Having 8-11 gm of zinc helps in having acne free skin. Zinc also helps in healing injuries. Dietary sources: almonds, cashew nuts, walnuts, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds.
- Magnesium: is such an important mineral that magnesium deficiency can speed up ageing. Fast food, aerated drinks and alcohol can leech the body of magnesium. This mineral is not only good for skin but hair, teeth and the bones as well. Dietary sources: buckwheat, barley, coconut, walnuts, beetroot green, spinach.
- Calcium: Commonly known for stronger bones and teeth, it is equally essential in providing healthy skin too by aiding skin elasticity and firmness. Dietary sources: milk and milk products, sesame seeds, oranges, chickpeas, and nuts.
- Copper: is like a catalyst which speeds up the production of the protein elastin which keeps the skin flexible. It also prevents skin pigmentation. Dietary sources: walnuts, Brazilian nuts, sunflower seeds, cashew nuts, mushroom and soybeans.
We hope this article helps you get that clear skin you’ve always wanted, naturally with the right nutrition. Do let us know your thoughts in the comments below. For more skincare tips, check out Healthy Reads or tune in to LIVE sessions by experts on GOQii Play.
Leave a Reply