Time is a precious commodity. We all chase it but never have enough, given our busy schedules. Ever stopped to ask yourself why you keep running out of time? Ever wondered if you’re working in a systematic manner?
My father always said that there are two kinds of people:
- Those who work hard
- Those who work smart
Those who work hard, do their work without giving it a thought and work monotonously. The smart workers are those who do their work in a systematic and planned manner, adhere to time management and also enjoy what they are doing.
What Constitutes Time Management?
Time management is the act or process of planning and exercising conscious control over the amount of time spent on specific activities, especially to increase effectiveness, efficiency or productivity.
To be successful is to manage your time well. It helps utilize the available time in an optimum manner to achieve one’s personal and professional goals. Without time management, you will not steer your life and you’ll eventually end up doing exactly what other people want you to do. Time management helps you take control of your life in the right manner. You decide what you want to do and where you want to go. Practicing time management has lots of benefits. Once you get a hang of it, you can work more, learn faster and play more.
How Does It Affect Your Health?
Today, work pressure has everyone stressed to the bone. More than often, people stay awake till morning trying to complete their work. During the day, they are seated with eyes glued to a machine. All these negatively impact the body and the mind. No physical activity means lack of movement in your joints, muscles and hence, one is prone to joint pains and other lifestyle diseases.
If you practice time management, you can complete your work and still have time to take care of your health. Believe me, you will start feeling positive. This in turn will help you be more stress-free. For most adults, sleep is the main factor that is compromised due to busy schedules. For students and professionals, moving about without sleep is a regular affair under the garb of wanting to achieve their targets. They may complete all their tasks, but do not realize that their mental and physical health is getting affected. Proper time management may prevent this.
Benefits of Time Management
- Increase in Productivity: Practicing time management can increase your productivity by helping you finish your work in the shortest possible time.
- Chances of Moving up the Ladder: In corporate sectors, the better you perform, the higher your chances of growth are. By managing your time, you could end up becoming a star performer in your organization
- Reduced Stress: If you manage your time well, you do not have to panic or push yourself to finish your work. You will get your work done at the said time, thus relieving you of stress and unnecessary work pressure.
- Higher Income: It is a well-known fact that in today’s world, time reciprocates money. Managing your time helps you accommodate more time to take up new assignments, opening up many more doors of opportunities.
- Boost in Self-Confidence: If you are completing your work within a given time frame and delivering quality as well, it will certainly boost your self-confidence and be fruitful for your career advancements.
- Stronger Family Bonds: Time management will help you spend quality time with your family and friends, which seems next to impossible these days. Time management helps you maintain a fine balance between your professional and personal life. Your family bonding will be much better.
- Better for Health: For better health, you need at least 7 to 8 hours of sound sleep. If you spend the whole night finishing your pending tasks, then you are certainly evoking great health hazards. There are many health related irregularities which are caused by lack of sleep.
All of the above explanations prove that the benefits of managing your time are irrefutable. Life is all about accomplishments and enjoyments. Efficient time management is the only instrument which helps you find both. You can’t allow yourself to sink under the files of pending tasks and persistently overlook your family responsibilities or personal necessities. Adopt a proficient time management technique to lead a balanced and prosperous life.
Have you been unable to manage your time or excel in managing it? Please share your thoughts in the comments below!
For more articles like this, check out Healthy Reads. If you want to set a schedule to help you manage your time and health better, speak to an expert by subscribing for GOQii’s Personalised Health Coaching here.