Have you heard of ‘Love Apples’? Well I have been seeing this fruit intermittently all around in plenty. I was puzzled a few years back when I first came across ‘Love Apples’. I found it to be an exceptional fruit with its taste and sweetness. Today, it is widely known for its varied health benefits.
Let me acquaint you a little about Love Apples.
We’ve all heard of Black Jamun. But, did youknow that it had a fairer kin called ‘White Jamun’? Love Apple is often known as wax apples, Safed Jamun, Jamaican Apple, Bell Fruit, Jamrul or Amrool( in Hindi).
The fruit is oblong, ovoid, starts green and turns pink to shining crimson black as it matures. If we delve into the taste of Love apple; it is a blend of sweet, mildly sour and astringent flavor and it tastes best when soaked in salt water for 30 minutes.
Culinary uses of Love Apple
- You can make fruit salad with love apples
- Pickle the fruit with Indian spices
- It can be stewed in Sugar syrup for making a delicious dessert
- It can also be blended it with water,lemon and sugar and have it as a refreshing juice
- Raw fruit can be used for making wine and vinegar
Let’s gaze into the benefits of Love Apple
- Diarrheoa, Consitpation, Colitis, Indigestion: With almost 93% of water content and adequate amount of dietary fiber, white jamun helps to deal with digestive disorders
- Throat infections: The credit goes to the anti inflammatory compounds present in the fruit.
- Crushed leaves are used as a skin softening lotion.
- Rich source of Vitamin A and improves vision.
- The Fruit sap acts as a diuretic and gives a soothing effect.
- Antihypertriglyceridemic effect:Fibre in the fruit in combination with other nutrients clears the blood vessels.
- Antihyperglycemic effect: Helps to keep the blood sugars under check.
So make sure the next time you fill your grocery cart with Love Apples and reap its benefits.