Your food choices matter a lot when you’re facing Diabetes. While it is difficult to find foods which prevent diabetes complications like heart disease, kidney disease, spiking blood sugar levels, etc. there are some foods for diabetics which can help reduce carbohydrate intake, which in turn keeps blood sugar in check. Let’s take a look at these foods for diabetes.
Top 10 Foods For Diabetics
- Cinnamon: This fragrant golden spice helps in controlling sugar, cholesterol and triglyceride levels in Type 2 Diabetes. It adds flavour to food, can be sprinkled on tea, coffee, oatmeal and smoothies, etc. Studies have shown just ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon daily can improve fasting blood sugar and improve insulin sensitivity.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Extra-virgin olive oil contains antioxidants called polyphenols which are extremely beneficial for heart health. Olive oil is the best option for MUFA source when it comes to managing diabetes. Several studies have shown that MUFA helps to keep blood sugar in check by lowering insulin resistance and it keeps you full, minimizes blood sugar spikes, and helps in good absorption of nutrients. Daily healthy intake for a Diabetic person can be 1-2 tsp ( 5ml -10 ml ) to manage sugar levels.
- Nuts: are the best snacking foods for diabetics as they are delicious and nutritious. Nuts like walnuts, almonds, cashews, pistachios are a boon for diabetics as they are low in carbohydrates and high in protein and fat, which makes them good for stabilizing blood sugar. Due to high in protein and low in digestible carbs they help to reduce blood sugar and LDL levels. A Diabetic person can have a small handful of approx. 20-30 gm daily But be sure to avoid salted varieties of nuts.
- Beans: are complex carbs loaded with fiber and rich in protein which gives a feeling of satiety. Beans are not expensive at all, easily available and they are incredibly versatile. Having beans in the diet regularly can control blood sugar and lower blood pressure. You can add beans in your salads, soups, veggies and sandwiches or use soaked/boiled beans in making or stuffing chila etc. Include one bowl daily which is approximately 25-30 gm of beans to regulate blood sugar levels.
- Quinoa: is considered as a complete protein because it contains all nine essential amino acids needed to build muscle and it is rich in minerals such as iron and magnesium. This protein-rich whole grain is a great substitute for white rice. It is rich in fiber and gets digested slowly, which keeps the stomach full and prevents blood sugar spikes. It is a healthy option for breakfast, snacks and effective in weight loss too. Daily 20-30 gm of Quinoa can be taken in different ways like salad, chila, upma, etc.
- Fenugreek Seeds: are very effective in treating people with diabetes. It is rich in soluble fiber which lowers the sugar levels by slowing down the digestion and absorption of carbohydrates. Studies have shown a daily dose of 10 gm of fenugreek seeds soaked in water helps to control Type 2 Diabetes.
- Oatmeal: is one of the best foods for diabetics as they can fit into any healthy meal plan. They high in fiber and low in glycemic index. It does the miraculous job in regulating blood sugar levels and increases energy levels. Steel-cut oats approx. 20 gm -30 gm daily with low-fat milk or vegetables are best for Type 2 Diabetes because they are least processed.
- Garlic: is a herb which reduces inflammation, blood sugar, LDL Cholesterol in people who have Type 2 Diabetes. It also reduces blood pressure and boosts immunity. 1-2 cloves of Garlic can be crushed and taken raw with water early morning or can be used while cooking.
- Turmeric is a very powerful spice with numerous health benefits. It helps to lower inflammation, reduce blood sugar and boost immunity. It has curcumin which benefits kidney and heart health in diabetics. It is an important ingredient in Indian cuisines, around ½ to ¼ tsp can be added in water or milk to reduce inflammation, boost immunity and regulate blood sugar levels.
- Chia seeds: are the powerhouse of nutrients and are one of the wonderful foods for Diabetics. They are high in fiber which lowers blood sugar in diabetics and helps maintain healthy weight. It also decreases blood pressure and inflammation in the body. Take 10gm of soaked chia seeds daily, can be also added in a smoothie, shake, curd etc.
We hope these 10 foods for diabetics helps you make a wonderful and positive shift to a healthier life but before you try them out, do consult with your doctor, nutritionist or dietitian.
For more help to manage diabetes, and get the right guidance and motivation by certified experts, join the GOQii Diabetes Care program. It’s India’s only diabetes program that is driven by Smart Science and Personal Coaching to improve Fasting Blood Sugar (FBS), Postprandial Blood Sugar (PP), reduce HbA1c levels and let you win gold! You can subscribe here: https://store.goqii.com/diabetescare.