Immunity has become a common discussion during these pandemic-stricken times. No doubt that good immunity is the key to a healthy and disease-free body. The Ministry of Ayush has listed some immunity boosting measures for self care during the pandemic and oil pulling is one such Ayurvedic procedure.
What Is Oil Pulling?
It is an ancient Ayurvedic practice known as Kalava but not many are familiar with it. It is known to improve immunity and prevent more than thirty systemic diseases when practiced regularly. The oral cavity harbors billions of microorganisms, some of these contribute to the development of systemic diseases. In oil pulling, edible oil is swished around the mouth, continuously for 20 minutes like a mouthwash. Ayurveda believes that the tongue is connected to every organ of the body. Microbes and toxins build up in the mouth and swishing oil in the mouth for a prolonged amount of time draws out impurities from the mouth. Oil acts as a cleanser before these microbes get a chance to re-circulate and spread.
How To Do It?
It is quite simple, no side effects and involves a few steps with just 1 ingredient.
- Take 1 tbsp of coconut oil.
- Swish it around in the mouth, between teeth, all over the gums, tongue, towards the cheek for 20 minutes.
- Spit out the oil and rinse your mouth well with water.
Caution: Oil may thicken and clog your drain so spit it in the dustbin. Children shouldn’t do it as there are chances they’ll swallow the oil.
Initially you may find it difficult to swish oil for long, so just start with 5 minutes and gradually build it up to 15–20 minutes. Coconut oil contains lauric acid which is proven to be anti-inflammatory and can kill harmful pathogens like bacteria, virus and fungi. Early morning is the best time to practice, even before drinking water. During sleep, the body detoxifies and the tongue gets coated with a white film which is full of toxins and microbes.
Benefits Of Oil Pulling On Oral Health
Oil pulling is beneficial for oral hygiene as it reduces a number of harmful bacteria in the mouth. It is helpful for conditions like:
- Bad breath
- Bleeding gums
- Oral candidiasis
- Reduces tooth pain
- Reduces problems like dry mouth, sore throat and chapped lips
- Gives whiter teeth, pink lips and gums.
Benefits To The Skin
When you oil pull, you constantly exercise your facial muscles which encourages blood flow to your face. Oil Pulling can:
- Reduce wrinkles, fine lines, dry face and other signs of aging
- Improve skin elasticity
- Reduce double chin
- Define your jawline
Apart from the above, it can call help with:
- Improving gut health, metabolism, digestion and immunity
- Detoxifying the mouth and body
- Improving energy levels and sleep
- Balancing hormones
- Reducing acne, eczema, psoriasis and other skin problems
- Alleviating headaches and migraine
- Providing relief from stiff joints and allergies
We hope you try this ancient Ayurvedic method of detoxifying your mouth and body. Do share your experience with us. For more articles on health and wellness, check out Healthy Reads or tune in to LIVE sessions by experts on GOQii Play.