Amidst the joy of rain-soaked moments and the pleasant ambiance, monsoons also bring along their unwelcome companions: fever, cough, cold, infections, and stomach disorders. While antibiotics may offer a quick fix, they can compromise our immunity, leading to relapses. Thankfully, our ancestors bequeathed us with a timeless solution – a Decoction syrup or Kadha!
Incorporating this age-old elixir into your routine can alleviate cough, cold, fever, and stomach pain, providing relief when you need it most. With its simple preparation, delightful taste, and appeal to kids, the Decoction Syrup or Kadha, saves you from chasing after them with medicines.
So, get ready to unlock the secret of Grandma’s healing elixir and discover the natural way to combat monsoon illnesses. Let’s dive into the world of this magical remedy passed down through generations, bringing you the best of traditional wisdom and holistic wellness.
What You Will Need
- Garlic – 1 clove, crushed or sliced. It contains a sulfur compound known as Allicin which is anti-viral, antibiotic, and antiseptic.
- Ginger – 1 inch, washed, peeled and lightly crushed. It is an excellent anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory herb known for suppressing nausea and vomiting, reducing fever and coughing, treating inflammation, congestion, cold, diarrhea, indigestion, and flatulence.
- Cardamom – 2 to 3. It stimulates digestion. It also helps to reduce body temperature and congestion of lungs.
- Black Pepper – 3 whole or crushed. It is loaded with antioxidants and relieves many pains including headaches.
- Jeshtimadh/Jyeshtamadhu (Liquorice Root) – 1 small stick. It is an excellent herb for getting relief from cough.
- Cloves – 2. It contains an anti-inflammatory chemical called Eugenol. The combination of anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties spells heaps of health benefits.
- Black Tulsi (Basil) – 4 to 5 leaves. Black Tulsi or Basil leaves have excellent anti-fungicidal, anti-bacterial and anti-biotic properties which fight fever. It is also known to reduce fever.
- Raw Honey/Jaggery – 1 teaspoon. Honey is antibacterial, antimicrobial, and antiseptic.
- Lemon – Half lemon. High in vitamin C, lemon may help decrease the strength of the cold and flu virus in the body and reduce phlegm.
How To Prepare The Decoction Syrup or Kadha
- Take 2 cups of water in a vessel
- Add all the above ingredients (except honey/jaggery and lemon) to the water
- Let the mixture boil, till the amount of water reduces to half
- Switch the gas off and now, add honey/jaggery and squeeze the lemon
- Strain it and sip it hot
Note: In case of severe illness, please visit a doctor. If you feel things are under control, try managing them with natural sources. Your body is designed to heal by itself.
We hope you try this Decoction Syrup or Kadha to help you fight monsoon illnesses and build your immunity! Let us know your experience in the comments below.
You can find more healthy recipes here. If you’re looking for more information to fight monsoon illnesses naturally or to simply build your immunity, speak to a GOQii Coach by subscribing for Personalised Health Coaching here.