This spherical or pear-shaped fruits was called the “fruit of the angels” by Christopher Columbus because it was very delicious, sweet with musky undertones. This tropical angel fruit is none other than Papaya. Originally from the tropics of America, the Spanish and Portuguese explorers brought papayas to many other subtropical lands to which they journeyed including India, the Philippines, and parts of Africa. Packed with great health benefits, Papaya has been used since quite long for medicinal uses in day to day life.
Every part of a papaya tree, from the fruit to the leaves, contains some medicinal properties and this makes Papaya, a great fruit option to include in your diet.
Health Benefits of Papaya:
1) Lowers cholesterol – Papaya is rich in fiber, Vit C and antioxidants that help prevent cholesterol which builds up in your arteries.
2) Helps in weight loss – Being very low in calories and high in fiber content, leaves you feeling full and also clears your bowel movement, making your weight loss regime easier.
3) Boosts Immunity – A single Papaya contains ample amount of Vit C and Vit A, which helps boosting the body’s immunity and hence is very good for those who are suffering from fever, cold or flu.
4) Good for diabetes – It is low in sugar and still sweet in taste, hence popular amongst diabetic people.
5) Helps ease menstrual pain – Women, who are suffering from menstrual pain, should help themselves to several servings of papaya, as an enzyme called Papain helps in regulating and easing flow during menstrual period.
6) Anti – ageing and Papaya – The antioxidants in Papaya help in controlling premature ageing and helps you to get a younger look.
7) Good for the Skin: Papaya can also be applied directly on the skin and can be used as a face pack to get its benefits. It helps to get rid of acne and skin infections as it helps to open clogged pores. It is also good to cure the skin infections and wounds that don’t heal quickly.
What is interesting about this fruit is that while, it finds its place in fruit salads, Papaya also works as a meat tenderizer and used in non-vegetarian cooking. One should thus consider having Papaya everyday for all the health benefits that it provides. We hope this article helps you. For further information or guidance, reach out to our certified experts by subscribing to GOQii’s Personalised Health Coaching here.