You’ve been exercising, eating food in measured quantities, counting your calorie intake, controlling your cravings and drinking a good amount of water, yet, even after 5-6 weeks of doing everything you can possibly do, you don’t see results. That weight scale doesn’t tip the way you want it to and you wonder what could be wrong! Is it your choice of food? It just might be but don’t worry! Try these fat burning foods which will improve your metabolism and support weight loss.
Fat Burning Foods For Weight Loss
- Eggs: also called the nutritional power house, tops the list as it is a complete food. Being high in protein and healthy fat ,leaves you feeling fuller for a longer time. It is generally observed that most people who include eggs in their breakfast experience less cravings throughout the day and achieve good results in reducing waist circumference and reduction in body fat percentage.
- Green Tea: is a strong antioxidant which triggers fat cells to release fat stored in them for energy. Sipping on a cup of green tea can reduce body fat and lower cholesterol levels. Plus, it helps your body repair more quickly after high-intensity workouts. It contains flavonoids and phytochemicals that can help reduce weight and boost metabolism.
- Nuts & Seeds: such as almonds, walnuts, flax seeds, and pumpkin seeds are high in micronutrients like magnesium, selenium, zinc and chromium. They help avoid hunger pangs and contain healthy fats which help in reducing belly fat. Flaxseeds, in particular, are high in fiber and rich in mucilage that forms a slimy, gum-like substance when mixed in water, creating a feeling of fullness and satiety
- Fatty Fish: like Salmon, Herring, Sardines, Mackerel and other oily fish contain omega-3 fatty acids which help in reducing inflammation. Fish is an excellent source of high-quality protein. Digesting protein leads to feeling of fullness and increases metabolic rate significantly. The fats and protein in fish helps support lean muscle mass, which increases your resting metabolism and burns more fat during rest.
- Avocados: The monounsaturated fat, minerals like magnesium and potassium prevent water retention and bloating, aids weight loss and activates enzymes to control digestion, better absorption and utilization of nutrients and glucose by cells. With the healthy fats and fibre, avocados gives you a feeling of fullness for a longer time.
- Leafy Greens: like kale, spinach and collard greens are loaded with minerals like magnesium and iron which help reduce stress and carry oxygen throughout the body and support weight loss as weight loss is directly related to stress. Being good in fibre, they also delay the stomach emptying time and can also be easily incorporated in our diet.
- Probiotics like Curds and Yoghurt: help improve gut health, reduce bloating, improve immunity and prevent fluctuations in weight by promoting better absorption of nutrients. Imbalance in gut health slows down metabolism and leads to weight gain.
- Spices: like pepper and cinnamon encourage you to cut back on high sodium foods and avoid salt, plus, has mild diuretic effects, helping you flush out excess water. Pepper is high in capsaicin, which is proven to burn belly fat and boost the body’s ability to convert food to fuel. Daily consumption of capsaicin speeds up abdominal fat loss. Capsaicin counteracts the slowdown in metabolic rate that typically occurs with decreased calorie intake. Cinnamon helps better uptake of glucose by cells, supporting weight loss
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Having ACV before a meal slows the digestion of carbs. This helps in keeping your blood sugar from spiking, and blood sugar spikes are suppressed fat burning. Having apple cider vinegar before a meal can also help you feel fuller with less food. It also helps detox the body and maintain the stomach’s pH balance.
- Legumes: like beans, peas, chickpea, and lentils contain protein, fibre and complex carbs which take longer to break down. The protein in beans supports muscle formation. Having more muscle mass increases your caloric burn—even at rest. Having good fibre, they slow down the rate of digestion. They slow down the release of simple sugars and delay the digestion and absorption of carbohydrates from the digestive tract.
- Oils: like coconut oil and olive oil support weight loss. The MCT in coconut oil suppresses hunger and supports burning of fat efficiently and also keeps you fuller for a longer time. It also supports better uptake of thyroid hormone to support healthy metabolism. On the other hand, olive oil helps improve insulin sensitivity and prevent spikes in blood sugar level.
So add these fat burning foods to your diet if you’re well on your weight loss journey. Before you try to add any of these foods, please consult your doctor, nutritionist or dietitian especially if you have any food allergies.