Kanji is a popular north Indian drink. We can call it an ‘Indian Kombucha’ as well. This drink is traditionally consumed to aid digestion. It keeps the gut healthy during winter. This probiotic drink is the result of naturally occurring bacteria and yeast with salty, zingy taste. It may take a week for Kanji to be fermented as per one’s taste but you can store it in a glass jar for a month easily.
Why Do You Need This Drink During Winter?
- This drink has fiber content which smoothens bowel movements. The growth of healthy bacteria helps to promote healthy bowel movement.
- Kanji tones the blood detoxifies the liver and aids digestion.
- It is packed with a variety of nutrients such as potassium, vitamin C, vitamin A, manganese, few vitamins B as well.
- Due to the powerhouse of Antioxidants, it helps provide protection from cancer and prevents eczema in children.
- Low-calorie count makes this a perfectly healthy drink which aids weight loss.
- Good for maintaining hydration levels and replenish lost nutrients in case of dehydration or diarrhoea.
- Old remedy to prevent water loss in case of vomiting, also speeds up the recovery. It gives energy if one feels weak or dizzy.
- It prevents certain infections after surgery and reduces systemic allergy too.
Recipe to Prepare Kanji
What You Will Need:
- Black Carrots (Kali Gajar) – 250 gm
- Filtered Water – 8 cups
- Black salt – 2 tsp (or as per taste)
- Asafoetida (Hing) – ½ tsp
- Mustard Seeds (Powdered) – 3 tsp
- Red chili powder – ½ tsp (optional)
How to Prepare:
- Peel the carrots, wash them and cut them in small pieces about your finger size.
- Boil the water and add the carrots into it, boil it for 2-3 minutes and turn off the flame and let it cool.
- Add black salt, mustard seeds powder, hing, and chili powder to the mixture and transfer it in a clean glass jar and close it with lid.
- Keep this jar out in the sun for 4-5 days so that the Kanji gets fermented. Don’t keep the jar under the sun after fermentation.
- After 5 days, if it tastes sour then your Magic drink is ready for consumption.
- Stir and enjoy it with your breakfast or your mid-meal.
It’s easy to prepare. In fact, I just finished making a batch for myself! We hope you like this amazing and nutritious drink. Do share your thoughts with us in the comments below.
For more healthy winter recipes and to learn about nutritious foods and drinks, check out Healthy Reads or connect with a GOQii Coach by subscribing for personalised health coaching here: https://goqiiapp.page.link/bsr