I have been having ‘Bullet Proof Coffee’ and guess what? every time I post a picture of my cuppa coffee on social media, it has raised immense curiosity and next I know, I am flooded with messages asking me what is this ‘Bullet Proof Coffee’?
It all started with me undertaking ‘Intermittent fasting’ (IF). This is an age old concept and has been a secret to health. However, for many decades this concept was forgotten. But, now many nutrition and lifestyle experts are once again bringing back this concept of fasting and recommending it to people as it comes with huge benefits if done in the right manner. The benefits are weight loss through fat burning, increased energy through the day, improve over health, simplify lifestyle among many others.
What is Intermittent Fasting? It is a concept where you fast for almost 12-14 hours. One can choose to fast how they want. IF is not about which foods you eat but more about when you eat. It’s all about following an ‘eating pattern’. In definition, IF is a term for an eating pattern that cycles between periods of fasting and eating.
I chose to fast between dinner and lunch the next day a period of approximately 12-14 hours and this is part of my everyday routine. I have my dinner between 7.30 pm and 8 pm and only have water in between. Next morning around 8.30 am, I have a ‘Bullet Proof Coffee’ which is quite heavy and keeps me full and not crave for food till lunch at around 1 pm. After my lunch, I eat enough for a period of 8 hours and end with dinner at 8 pm.
Coming to your curiosity on what is ‘Bullet Proof Coffee’ and how I make it?
BPC was invented in the US by David Asprey, an entrepreneur, businessman and author from Albuquerque. Bullet Proof Coffee is nothing but Coffee with butter and oil.
My Bullet Proof Coffee is however Indianised and is very easy to prepare.
- 2 ½ tablespoon Blue Tokai organic Coffee or any other single origin organic coffee
- 1 tablespoon 100% Pure MCT Oil ( This is available on Amazon.in)
- 1-2 tablespoons Parsi Dairy Farm’s White Butter (unsalted) or use Ghee
1. Brew 1 cup of coffee using filtered water, just off the boil, using 2 1/2 heaping tablespoons freshly ground Blue Tokai Coffee beans
- Add in 1 tablespoons of MCT Oil to the hot coffee (It’s STRONG – start with 1 tsp. and work up over several days).
- Add 1-2 tablespoons white butter
- Mix it all in a blender for 20-30 seconds until it is nice and frothy like a latte
Benefits of Bullet Proof Coffee:
- It is rich in taste
- Bulletproof coffee can help prevent diabetes and also protect the liver, lower the risk of stroke, and help the brain fight depression.
- It reduces cravings
- It is a high-performance drink that has a large impact on your energy levels and cognitive functions. Reduces anxiety and improves mood.
- This coffee keeps you energized for a long time.