The lockdown extension, no gym to get you pumped and the general lethargy of being indoors might be getting to you now. If you’re worried about getting that workout burn, we’ve got some exercise hacks that will get your blood pumping!
Exercise Hacks to Consider
- Brooming & Mopping the Floor: With no maids to aid you, this is a task you’ll have to do yourself. Sweeping and mopping has its own benefits. For one, it can be used as a workout if done in a squat position and two, cleaning the whole house will keep your activity levels up!
- Water Bottles: can be used as dumbbells for your regular exercises. Exercises which simply can be done with water bottles are squat with a front raise along with lunges. Ensure your knees don’t go beyond your toes when you squat or lunge. Then biceps can be trained by doing front raises, side raises, curls, etc.
- Wall Sits: Walls of your living room can be utilised to train or tone the body. With the back flat against the wall, arms straight, try to sit as if sitting on a chair and hold yourself for 30-60 secs or more if possible. Slowly and gradually increase the holding time. This is a good exercise for glutes.
- Staircase Workout: Now, with the staircase, we have a number of exercises that can be done:
- Stair Jogging: Start climbing stairs as if you are jogging, then come back down but keep your knees soft. Repeat for 3-4 times.
- Box Jump: Keeping feet shoulder-width apart, jump off the ground with both feet on the step into a squat position (knees should be bent to better absorb the shock of that jump), step down one foot after the other. Do 10 reps or more if needed.
- Bent Knee Push-ups: Simple push-ups by assuming yourself in a push up position with bent knees and feet crossed at back. Keeping your head, neck and back in one line. Slowly lower yourself towards the stair bending your elbows. Then push back to the starting position. Inhale as you go down and exhale on your way up.
- Mountain Climbers: In a plank position with hands firmly on the stair and head, neck and spine is in a straight line. Bring each thigh towards the chest one by one, keeping knees towards the elbow.
- Blanket Battle Ropes: Hold the both ends of your blanket in each hand and move your arms in an up-down motion for a minute by bending your knees. Ensure your knees don’t extend beyond your toes. Keep your head, neck and spine in a straight line.
Apart from these easy exercise hacks, you can also try yoga, surya namaskar and other body weight exercises to keep yourself active. Variations and other home workouts for everything mentioned in this article can also be found on GOQii Play – demonstrated by fitness experts.
So get your game face on and #BeTheForce during lockdown!