Bloating and gas are the most common discomforts of the digestive system. There are many reasons why they can happen but it is important to understand and identify the root cause, so you can apply the required remedy. What causes bloating and gas though? What happens when one feels bloated? Bloating is a build up of gas in the stomach and the intestine. The belly swells up after eating, one can feel bloated. Bloating causes burping, abdominal discomfort, and a feeling of fullness.
Reasons for Bloating and Gas
- Lack of physical activity or a sedentary lifestyle
- Less intake of fiber
- Less intake of water
- Food allergies
- Eating too much or eating too fast
- Lactose or gluten intolerance
- Eating food that creates gas in the intestinal tract
Some other reasons also include pregnancy, GERD, smoking and menstrual period as well.
Preventive and Easy Home Remedies
Now that we know some of the reasons for bloating and gas, let’s check out some preventive measures and easy home remedies.
- Have smaller portions of meals at a time. This will help you digest food faster and in a proper manner. More so, your stomach will have some space to breathe.
- Make it a habit to walk around after meals at least for 5-10 mins as it will increase the metabolic rate and aid digestion.
- Have salads on your plate as these are rich in fiber, absorb water and prevent indigestion.
- Always have lukewarm lemon water with a pinch of rock salt (not for hypertensive’s) or with a tsp of honey (not for diabetics) after heavy and oily meals.
- If one is experiencing a regular episode of bloating after eating a particular food, then an allergy test needs to be done.
- Proper cooking of cruciferous veggies is required. Other veggies can be mixed with cruciferous veggies. Avoid eating them at night.
- If bloating is because of gluten, then go for gluten-free food and rice products. Don’t forget to check food labels and ingredients every time you buy something.
- If you are allergic to lactose, then go for soy curd, soy milk and soy cottage cheese.
- Include probiotics in every meal as these will improve the gut environment for bacteria and help in reducing bloating and gas. Try adding yogurt, curd, buttermilk with a pinch of rock salt & roasted cumin powder.
- Some yoga poses can be tried 4-5 times in a week to strengthen stomach muscles and can relieve gas as well.
- Make it a habit of chewing fennel seeds after your meal as it improves digestion. you can even have fennel tea (Just add 1 tsp of crushed fennel seeds or whole fennel seeds to a cup of boiling water for 10 min & after it can be sipped).
- Few pieces of ginger can be taken with lemon and a pinch of rock salt to increase digestion (not for those who have GERD) & ginger tea can be taken without milk.
- Ripe bananas aid digestion. The potassium in bananas manage fluid levels that cause bloating and gas.
- Chamomile tea settles an upset stomach. It has anti-inflammatory properties. So try chamomile tea or an infusion of chamomile, peppermint, lemon, balm & fennel seeds.
- Cucumber water is good as it acts as a natural diuretic and contains silica which helps in removing gas.
- Aloe Vera juice can be taken 1-2 times in a day to relieve gas.
- Have Cumin water. Put 1-2 tsp of cumin in a cup of boiling water and have it empty stomach after 10-15 min of straining it.
- Start giving priority to these natural gas releasing agents in your kitchen like asafoetida, cumin seeds and carom seeds.
- Baking soda can be taken with hot water and fresh lemon to ease from bloating.
- Half a tsp of Triphala powder with hot water can be taken before going to bed to make digestion faster and for a happy & healthy gut.
Last but not the least, manage stress well, as stress can affect the stomach right from the time you start thinking under pressure. We hope this article helps you find relief from and prevent bloating and gas in the stomach. Do leave your thoughts in the comments below!