We all enjoy the smell of wet mud, the cool breeze and the pleasant environment, but with these experiences, the rains also bring illnesses such as fever, cough, cold, infections, and stomach disorders, etc. The quick fix which most choose in these conditions is to visit a doctor who prescribes us an antibiotic for quick relief. While quick, medicines suppress our immunity and in most cases, we have a relapse. Well, when it comes to monsoon illnesses, we have a simple solution passed down the ages – a home remedy known as a Decoction syrup or Kadha.
You might have had a taste of this too as a part of your Grandma’s home remedy methods. It helps alleviate cough, cold, fever and stomach pain. This special Decoction Syrup or Kadha is simple to prepare, tasty and kids will like it as well – which means you can avoid running behind them for medicines.
What You Will Need
- Garlic – 1 clove, crushed or sliced. It contains a sulfur compound known as Allicin which is anti-viral, antibiotic, and antiseptic.
- Ginger – 1 inch, washed, peeled and lightly crushed. It is an excellent anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory herb known for suppressing nausea and vomiting, reducing fever and coughing, treating inflammation, congestion, cold, diarrhea, indigestion, and flatulence.
- Cardamom – 2 to 3. It stimulates digestion. It also helps to reduce body temperature and congestion of lungs.
- Black Pepper – 3 whole or crushed. It is loaded with antioxidants and relieves many pains including headaches.
- Jeshtimadh/Jyeshtamadhu (Liquorice Root) – 1 small stick. It is an excellent herb for getting relief from cough.
- Cloves – 2. It contains an anti-inflammatory chemical called Eugenol. The combination of anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties spells heaps of health benefits.
- Black Tulsi (Basil) – 4 to 5 leaves. Black Tulsi or Basil leaves have excellent anti-fungicidal, anti-bacterial and anti-biotic properties which fight fever. It is also known to reduce fever.
- Raw Honey/Jaggery – 1 teaspoon. Honey is antibacterial, antimicrobial, and antiseptic.
- Lemon – Half lemon. High in vitamin C, lemon may help decrease the strength of the cold and flu virus in the body and reduce phlegm.
How To Prepare The Decoction Syrup or Kadha
- Take 2 cups of water in a vessel
- Add all the above ingredients (except honey/jaggery and lemon) to the water
- Let the mixture boil, till the amount of water reduces to half
- Switch the gas off and now, add honey/jaggery and squeeze the lemon
- Strain it and sip it hot
Note: In case of severe illness, please visit a doctor. If you feel things are under control, try managing them with natural sources. Your body is designed to heal by itself.
We hope you try this Decoction Syrup or Kadha to help you fight monsoon illnesses and build your immunity! Let us know your experience in the comments below. For more recipes, check out Healthy Reads.
To learn more about how to fight monsoon illnesses and to get more home remedies like this, reach out to a GOQii Coach by subscribing for personalized health coaching here: https://goqiiapp.page.link/bsr
Stay Healthy and #BeTheForce