In my previous article, we looked at some common mistakes for not losing belly fat. In this part, we’re going to go over some more reasons which make it difficult for an individual to lose belly fat. As mentioned before, losing belly fat that has accumulated over the years is no easy feat and these habits make the journey even more difficult. Let’s look at them!
Reasons Why You’re Not Losing Belly Fat
- Lack of sleep: Sleep deprivation or disturbed sleep not only adds on to physical and mental stress, but also affects your choice of food items i.e. you end up eating junk/carbs when you are unable to sleep at night. The ideal procedure of fat loss, growth and development actually takes place when you are in deep sleep. I think now you can relate why people with high stress levels tend to gain weight day by day even when their portions are controlled. Sleeping for 6-8 hours daily is very important.
- Starvation: In my practice as a dietician, I have come across a lot of people who starve themselves to lose weight, most importantly, belly fat. It is one of the worst things that you can do to your body. The first thing that your body does when it has access to food post a long gap is to store all the calories in the form of fat and spend the least for various functions of the body as well as for other activities. Small frequent meals and not keeping your body starved for long hours will really help improve metabolism.
- Consuming fruits at night or post meals: Most people think that eating fruits at night is healthy and light. But, the fact is that fruits are a rich source of carbohydrates and supply constant energy. We are neither that active at night nor is our metabolism good post sunset. Thus, all the unused calories get stored in the body in the form of fat. With regards to having fruits with/post meals, it increases the carbohydrate load of the meal and all the excess and unused carbs is converted into fat. It is better to consume fruits as a mid meal snack before sunset or a great option to start your day to boost your metabolism.
- Sweets/Dessert post meals: Sweets such as ice-cream, pudding, cake or chocolates are sugar laden. Eating them after a meal is quite a bad idea as it leads to more fat deposition. That doesn’t mean you should not enjoy sweets and desserts. You can enjoy them as a mid meal snack. If you manage to have it during the first half of the day, nothing like it. If you are a person who cannot do without sweets post meals, opt for a piece of more than 70% dark chocolate, a small piece of jaggery, chikki made of jaggery and nuts or squeezed rasgulla.
- Dehydration: Consuming less water/fluids or increased consumption of caffeinated drinks like tea, coffee, pepsi, coke, etc. leads to dehydration of cells. In the state of dehydration, the cells and organs cannot function at their optimal level and metabolism falls. This aids in less energy utilization for various functions of the body and the unused energy or calories get converted into fat, which are generally stored in the belly region. When you drink less water, all the toxins that are present within the body do not get flushed out of the system and affect some functions of the organs like the liver, kidney, heart and other muscles which further reduces metabolism and effective calorie consumption of the body. This increases the conversion of excess energy into fats. Consuming at least 2.5- 3L of water and choosing fluids like lemon water, vegetable juices, buttermilk, and coconut water over caffeinated drinks, will help you hydrate and rejuvenate your cells.
While you might be making these common mistakes without realizing that they’re harming you, you now have a better idea of what needs to be done! After making these small changes to your life, you can bring about a great difference within you and work towards your health goals.
We hope this article helps you on your journey to losing belly fat and maintaining healthy weight. Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
For more articles on weight loss, check out Healthy Reads or get the right advice, tailored to your goals, from an expert, by subscribing for GOQii’s Personalised Health Coaching here: https://goqiiapp.page.link/bsr