With the temperatures dipping, dry winter air zaps the moisture from your skin and leaves it dry and flaky. But it doesn’t mean you have to live with dull and dry skin all through winter. A few effective winter skincare tips and a proper skincare routine can facilitate your skincare game on point even in the chilly months. Let’s discuss some very useful skin care tips to keep your skin healthy and happy in winter.
7 Simple Winter Skincare Tips
- Cover Up: Winter brings along dry and itchy skin that can be annoying to deal with it but you can prevent them from stripping away your skin’s natural oils. Always wear gloves and cover your mouth and nose with a scarf or the collar of your jacket, especially if it’s windy. You can apply Vaseline or lip balm and sunscreen of SPF – 15 to lessen direct contact between the cold air and your skin (especially your lips) as the sun’s harmful UV rays can still cause damage in winters.
- Watch your Diet: Your skin texture depends not only on external treatments but also on your food intake. A proper nutritious intake helps in rejuvenating the skin from within. Sometimes, when the skin is incredibly dry, it can also be helped by whole grains, pulses, brown rice, oatmeal and sprouts. Foods containing omega 3 fatty acids like chia seeds, almonds, walnuts, fish oil and flaxseed oil help increase blood flow to the skin, thus making it smooth and supple.
- Make Hydration Easy: You’ve probably been told to drink plenty of water during winter, so don’t forget the ‘drinking 8 glasses of water’ rule that applies to winter as well.
- High Water Content Foods: Vit. C rich fruits like guava, papaya, Amla, oranges, lemon juice, green tea, avocado and green veggies such as spinach, beetroot or carrot, broccoli soups and stews made with broth, can also help keep your body and skin from getting too dry by synthesising collagen. Collagen is the protein that holds the skin cells together, thus promoting the generation of clear skin and a fresh complexion.
- Moisturize & Apply Natural Butters: Moisturizing is one the pretty basic winter skincare tips. Take it a step further by selecting moisturizers or natural butters like Shea, primrose, kokum, coconut oil or ghee, and almond butter. These can be applied to the skin after showering. Treating dry lips can also be done using a few common home ingredients like aloe vera gel and honey or Vaseline.
- Practice Abhyanga: Abhyanga is an important aspect of Ayurveda, a treatment that involves self-massaging the skin with oil. You can use cold-pressed oils like olive oil, sesame seed oil, mustard oil, coconut oil, almond oil and castor oil, etc. that offers a great healing treatment for dry skin, bringing comfort and balance to the entire body.
- Avoid Hot Baths: Always use lukewarm water instead of hot water while bathing to revive natural oil from the skin. You can also use mild soaps, bath oils or a good home-cleanser just like the top of the milk cream blended with a few teaspoons of gram flour (Besan) and a pinch of turmeric powder rather than a harsh soap which can dry out the skin.
These are some simple Winter Skincare tips to help you keep your skin moist, supple and healthy all season long. Include the easy changes above to your everyday routine to be able to feel your best!
We hope this article helps you. Do leave your thoughts in the comments below. To read more on how to stay healthy during winters, check out Healthy Reads or speak to an expert by subscribing for GOQii’s Personalised Health Coaching here: https://goqiiapp.page.link/bsr