Pulses have always been an important part of the Indian diet, preferred for their nutritional content of protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals. There are hundreds of variety of pulses grown, some of the popular ones are – Lentils, Dry Beans, Cowpeas, Chickpea, Tur Dal, Black beans, kidney beans, etc. Moreover, they are very economical and easily available throughout the world.
If Pulse was an abbreviation, it would surely mean:
P – Protein Rich
U – Universally Distributed
L – Low Cost
S – Source of dietary fiber
E – Easily Available
Pulses are often considered to be a poor man’s food because of their low cost and availability and are often neglected for more expensive alternates. While there is nothing wrong with exploring options, why should one ignore such a versatile and rich source of plant protein?
Reasons to Include Pulses in Your Diet
- Pulses are good for all age groups irrespective of whether it is fed to babies, a preschooler, an adolescent, an adult or the elderly! Pulses are good for everyone. In adolescents, it helps promote growth and development. In the elderly, it helps in maintaining and replacing the wear and tear of tissues.
- They are widely distributed, affordable and reachable for all income groups. Pulses are heart healthy and a good source of vegetarian protein.
- They are low in saturated and trans fat, in essence, they help in lowering blood cholesterol, reduce blood pressure and maintain a healthy weight.
- Pulses have shown potential in helping to reduce the risk of chronic illnesses such as Diabetes, Cancer and Heart diseases.
- They are dried seeds that can be easily stored for a long time with proper care. Hence, reducing food wastage and loss.
- Red kidney beans are high in antioxidants and fight inflammation and boost metabolism.
- When Cereals are taken with Pulses, it improves the protein quality due to mutual supplementation. Cereals are high in Cysteine and methionine and pulses are high in lysine.
These reasons are good enough for you to rush to your grocer and pack your kitchen with a variety of pulses! #LevelUp your kitchen cabinet and #BeTheForce!