We all want healthy and glowing skin but do you know that your skin reflects what you eat? Healthy skin needs nutrients, a healthy diet, enough water and good sleep. When these aspects are balanced, it shows on our skin. Wrinkles are a sign of ageing. We can’t stop or avoid it but with healthy food and lifestyle, we can delay it. When it comes to premature aging or wrinkles, it happens due to Sun damage and loss of collagen and elastin. These two proteins take care of our skin and keep it healthy, young and firm.
When UV rays hit our skin, it reduces the production of collagen and elastin. It increases the production of free radicals and premature aging. As we age, the skin starts losing its firmness and elasticity. Other factors that contribute to the process are pollution, smoking, stress, dehydration, lack of sleep and unhealthy food habits.
Which Foods Help Fight Wrinkles and Premature Aging?
- Avocado: is a fruit with healthy fats. It has fiber and many nutrients like folate, magnesium, Potassium, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Niacin (Vitamin B3), Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine (Vitamin B6), Vitamin C, Vitamin E and Vitamin K. Vitamin E aids skin nourishment, reduces scars and fights free radicals. Avocado is high in the antioxidant glutathione, which helps the body to detoxify and keeps skin clear of acne and wrinkles.
- Berries: All the berries are extremely rich in antioxidants, are a good source of fiber, Vitamin c, Manganese, Vitamin K1, copper and folate. Those are rich in flavonoids, vitamins and polyphenol. So berries are perfect food to fight wrinkles and fine lines. Berries not only help in reducing wrinkles but also help in the regeneration of new skin cells. Add berries to your breakfast or morning smoothies.
- Buckwheat: It is gluten free, rich in fiber, Iron, provides B1, is a rich source of magnesium and calcium, folate, helps in heart health and controls blood sugar levels and also reduces the signs of premature aging. It has Bioflavonoid rutin which helps to maintain the production of collagen in the skin and encourage the body’s utilization of Vitamin C.
- Papaya: is rich in a variety of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals like Vitamin A, C, K and E, Calcium, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus and Vitamin B. These help to improve skin elasticity and minimize the fine lines and wrinkles. Papaya is rich in the enzyme papain and chymopapain which helps to reduce inflammation. It helps to reduce acne by removing dead skin cells, and remove damaged keratin which can build up on the skin and form small bumps.
- Sweet Potatoes: are rich in Vitamin A, B,C, D, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, thiamine, zinc. It has the antioxidant beta-carotene which is converted into Vitamin A and helps in restoring skin elasticity, prompts skin cell turnover, which means healthy glowing skin. The Vitamin C and E in it helps in protection of skin from free radicals and keeps complexion radiant. Both the Vitamins are crucial to keep skin healthy, glowing and supple. Vitamin C boosts collagen and promotes tightening of skin.
Above are the few foods which help protect our skin from wrinkles and premature aging. In addition to including these foods to your diet, make sure that you have healthy fats, a variety of veggies and fruits, especially different colour veggies and fruits. Keep yourself well hydrated, do regular exercise, learn to manage stress and sleep well. Reduce the consumption of alcohol, tea, coffee, preserved canned food and processed food. Our body does not have a voice but it talks to us through signs and symptoms, so pay attention to the health of the skin to be healthy and fit. With good food habits, healthy lifestyle, proper hydration, good sleep and stress management we can turn the clock on our skin to look 10 years younger.