There are only so many times you can say, “Just water for me, thanks,” Water is a healthy and safe bet, sure. In fact, it can’t be beaten. No drink can match water, isn’t it? Water is a panacea for many health problems
70 % body is comprised of water. There are innumerable benefits of having water. It promotes weight loss, boosts immunity, increases brain power, prevents hair fall, renders glowing skin, helps in clearing the gut, removes toxins from the body and many more.
So what do you do when you want more options but don’t want to stray from the healthy side of things? Luckily, there are actually several beverages that can do you one favour or another while spicing up your waterlogged palette.
In this blog, I am going to talk about the healthiest drinks in India. Some of them are my absolute favourites and I include them in my diet throughout the year. Not only these drinks are tasty and easy to make but also offer numerous health benefits
From digestion related problems to skin issues, hair fall issues to serious problems of kidney, liver and heart, these drinks serve as pure nectar for the body.
There are sometimes when we feel like drinking something hot and cool, sweet and salty, morning and evening, summer and winters. I have chosen some most versatile health drinks
The SEVEN health drinks you must try are:
Starting with # 7 RAGI MALT
If you are looking for a quick and healthy breakfast, try this one. Considering the nutritional and therapeutic value of Finger millet or Ragi for the human body, it is quite surprising and unfortunate that it is totally absent in most people’s diets today. 2 years ago, I read about it and even heard about the benefits and started having it regularly, since then this drink has been a part of my routine.
- Ragi flour 3-4 tsp in a bowl with a little bit water poured in it which should be enough to make a paste of it.
- Then boil 1 cup of water and rock salt according to the taste and add ragi paste
- Keep stirring it for 2-3 mins, once it cools down to add some lemon juice 1/2 and some curd (50 gms) in it.
- Mix it well and your drink is ready, you can even have this in your breakfast when you are running late for work or it is a rescuer for people who have excuses to skip breakfast especially for the weight watchers.
Rich in Fibre
High in Calcium
# 6 Turmeric Milk
We all must have tried it in our childhood or otherwise due to its anti-inflammatory properties but this turmeric milk recipe is quite different especially in winters.
- 1 glass of milk to boil (200gms)
- On boiling it add ½ tsp of turmeric
- Add a pinch of black pepper and ¼ tsp of Cow Ghee
- Let it boil with all these ingredients
Turmeric has antibacterial and viral properties and is considered a super herb since ancient times. The purpose of adding Black pepper helps in absorbing the turmeric in the body. The combination of ghee+ milk= pre nectar (acts as a panacea for many health problems) keep infections at bay this winter. Have it before 1 hour of going to bed.
*Excellent Body detoxifier
*Cleanses Blood vessels
*Flushes out the toxins
*Kills Cancer cells
*Improves Skin Tone
# 5 Buttermilk or Chaas
Do you feel bloated after having heavy or spicy meals or feel thirsty through the day? Then it’s a must-have for people with weak digestion made in a traditional way. It helps you getting relief from all digestive and stomach related issues
- In a blender add coriander leaves, mint leaves some ginger, curd, a pinch of asafoetida, rock salt, black salt and water.
- Blend them all
- Next step is flame 1tsp of ghee and add few cumin seeds in it and 1-2 curry leaves
- Let them splutter and later pour it on buttermilk and enjoy!
* Rich in Vit B and Calcium
* Try having this buttermilk post lunch for maximum benefit
#4 Lemon Honey Water
One of the most popular drinks amongst the weight watchers and an excellent detoxifier. Some people complain that it causes a sore throat and acidity and is not that effective too. Which can be due to some common mistakes that people make while preparing it
Mistake 1> putting too much water and just 1 lemon to avoid acidity and increase water intake
Mistake 2 >Putting honey in hot water which may act against your body
To reap the maximum results out of it drink it early morning on empty stomach to see the miraculous results
- 200 ml lukewarm water, mix the juice of 1 lemon and 1tbsp honey
- Do not gulp it, gradually sip it down and finish it
- The citric acid in Lemon flushes out the toxins
- Clears skin
- Shrinks fat cells
- Aids digestion
- Detoxifies the body
- Cleanses the blood
- Boosts immunity
#3 Coconut water
This is a natural energy drink detoxifies the body. Ideally, the right time to drink it before 12 noon for max benefit. And, even after an intensive workout session to hydrate our body. As it is a great mother nature’s Sports drink
- Biologically pure
- Has potassium equal to 4 bananas
- Perfect electrolyte balance
- Prevents hypertension
# 2 Sugarcane juice
It is an answer to people who have sweet tooth and crave for something sweet to drink especially in summers. It is the tastiest and healthiest of many juices, not only low in Glycaemic index is recommended to diabetics as well. It is a super juice among all other fruit juices. It is rich in nutrients as well. Adding ginger and mint to it will even more improve your digestion!
- Rich in iron, calcium, phosphorus, antioxidants
- It cures a Common cold and boosts immunity
- Fights fever and other infections too
- Boosts energy
- Strengthens liver
- Relieves constipation
- Removes Bad breath and Tooth Decay
#1 Carrot Milk
It’s a number one drink to try especially in winters and it’s already around. It works as a natural health supplement which can be taken from children to adults to old age
- 1 Medium sized grated carrot
- Half boil the carrot in a half cup of water
- Post that adds 200ml of milk in it
- Let the water evaporate and we would have a powerful health supplement ready
- Improves eyesight especially for people who work in front of gadgets for long hours
- Relief from dark circles
- For glowing skin
- Increases strength
- Clears vitamin deficiencies
Have it at least 2-3 times a week, if you want you can have it every day, anytime
If you wish to sweeten it, you can some jaggery powder or some honey
Whenever you feel like drinking something Drink water! The best way is to keep it in a copper vessel on a wooden surface and keep it overnight and drink first thing in the morning and don’t pour it in other utensil and drink it straight from the copper vessel to multiply the nutrients in it.
I believe all the above drinks are very convenient and can be added in our fast-paced busy lives, as looking good is not enough- feeling good is what matters.