Hunger is an important signal which should not be ignored but how often have you felt that this is a genuine one especially during this lockdown? Although growling and gurgling in the stomach are real signals to watch out for, here are some simple and effective hacks to control hunger pangs.
Effective Ways To Control Hunger Pangs
- Chew Well: This has probably been repeated several times since our childhood but often ignored. Mindful eating begins by sniffing the aroma and relishing every bite. When we chew the food properly, the flavors of the food linger in the mouth and this brings about a satiety value because of the feeling of fullness. This helps us tide over binge eating.
- Stay Hydrated: Quite often, our body is shouting for hydration and we end up stuffing food. Getting confused between thirst and hunger is very common. Drinking water from earthen pots quenches thirst as compared to refrigerated water. You can add nimbu pani and buttermilk to your diet. Summer coolants like aam panna and kokum sherbet are great too.
- Adequate Protein: If in spite of eating breakfast, you are growling in anticipation for lunch then you probably need to look into the protein content in your diet. Research has shown that adequate amounts of protein help one stay full for a longer period of time. Ghrelin, an appetite-stimulating hormone which signals to eat is lower with high proteins.
- Soup: is a great rescue from the immense hunger pangs, especially in the evening. The high water content along with high fiber due to the veggies in the soup control hunger pangs. Having a warm intake surprisingly reduces the appetite. Stick to broth-based soups and not creamy ones.
- Spice It Up: Major Hunger pangs occur due to bland and unsatisfactory food. Adding a few spices not only curbs your appetite but aids digestion too. Spicy food is known to increase satiety. A simple salad can become interesting if you add a dash of lemon, sprinkle some chaat masala or throw in some mint dip!
- Healthy Snacking: What one eats when hungry during odd hours plays an important role to control hunger pangs. Having a small mid-meal snack is good but watch out for the quantity and quality. Seasonal fruits will keep you full and healthy. Nuts and seeds being rich in proteins are good as well.
- Excessive Sugar: There is a direct link between sugar consumption and increased hunger pangs. Besides keeping a check on high sugar food intake, watch out for all the hidden sugar in food labels. Opt for natural sugar like jaggery, dry fruits and fresh fruits.
- Exercise: Majority of us have that notion that with exercise our appetite increases. Contrary to our belief, with regular aerobic exercise our appetite decreases
- Sleep: Lack of sleep can have an impact on our eating pattern. Incomplete sleep leads to low energy levels. To compensate for lower levels of energy, we tend to choose high sugary foods which make us fall in the vicious circle of empty calories and overeating.
And that’s it! Do follow these hacks to control hunger pangs. If in spite of following all these tips you still feel ravenous, then do consult a doctor. Do check out other articles for healthy recipes and for more topics on hunger, food, nutrition and health, tune in to LIVE sessions by experts on GOQii Play.
Stay home, stay safe, eat right and #BeTheForce!