All that we are aware of fats and oils is their weight gain ability. But, did you know that these fats and oils have many benefits too? Recommended dietary allowance (RDA) also says 20-30% of the whole diet should come from fat. Many oils have great taste due to their fortification. For instance Olive oil pairs very well with salads.
Let’s read more benefits:
- Brain development: Fat provides the structural components not only of cell membranes in the brain but also of myelin, the fatty insulating sheath that surrounds each nerve fiber, enabling it to carry messages faster. Many pregnant women are asked to consume oil on a slightly higher side for the brain development of the child.
- Vitamins absorptions: Fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K are absorbed by the intestines to provide vitamins to the body.
- Healthier skin: Right amount of fat intake decreases the chances of skin deficiencies like dry, flaky skin etc. It gives the skin a shining and rounded appeal. The layer of fat below the first layer of the skin provides insulation to help regulate body temperature.
- Healthy cells: Fats acts as a vital part of all the membrane. Fat surrounds each cell of the body. Without a healthy fat, cell membrane will not be able to function the right way.
- Taste: Besides being a nutritious energy source, fat adds to the appealing taste, texture, and appearance of food.
- Cushion for organs: Many of the vital organs, especially the kidneys, heart, and intestines are cushioned by fat that helps protect them from injury and hold them in place.
- Hormone manufacture: Fat helps in the secretion of hormones like prostaglandins, hormone-like substances that regulate many of the body’s functions. Fats also regulates the production of sex hormones. But, fat more than RDA if present will also hinder secretion of sex hormones. One should be in their ideal body weight and consume just the right amount of oil and match their ideal body weight (IBW). Teenage girls who look lean before their puberty will put on weight from the assistance of fat cell to sex hormones.
At GOQii we advise on healthy eating and leading a healthy lifestyle.
We hope this article has given you a deeper understanding of the benefits of fats and oils in your diet. If you found this information valuable, please share your thoughts in the comments section below. For more informative articles such as this, check out Healthy Reads or you can get this information directly from a GOQii Coach by subscribing for Personalised Health Coaching here.